Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cortezbanks

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Saurik is releasing Cydia 1.1 with 4.3 I believe.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I'm still confounded that with millions of iPhones out there and the thousands who jailbreak that there is not more of an organized workforce (for lack of a better word) doing the jailbreaking instead of a rag-tag team of rogue programmers who to this in their spare time.

Capitalism, being what it is, is not waisted on the iPhone jailbreak project. I'd gladly pay $20 to a legit outfit that did this for a living and produced reliable, timely, safe breaks.

For all those constant, useless calls to "do it yourself", that's exactly what we have now.

Of course, the downside of having a legit outfit doing the jailbreaking (and charging a nominal fee) would be the attention (and possible lawsuits) that would come their way from Apple.

Maybe what we have now is as good as it's going to get. :(

dudeabiding

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Jailbreaking an iPhone is currently legal. At least in the U.S. While Apple is appealing the ruling, as it now stands, we can do whatever we want with our phones. So no worries there.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I'm still confounded that with millions of iPhones out there and the thousands who jailbreak that there is not more of an organized workforce (for lack of a better word) doing the jailbreaking instead of a rag-tag team of rogue programmers who to this in their spare time.
Like every other aspect of jailbreaking, this topic has already been discussed to death, but with all the repetitive threads, it's easy to miss.

An 'organized workforce' is much easier for Apple to identify and pursue legally.

To Lurkers: Don't bother with whining posts that the Library Of Congress has already said jb is legal. That's irrelevant. If Apple decided to pursue it, they would and they'd bury the 'organized workforce' in legal bills.

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009

Capitalism, being what it is, is not waisted on the iPhone jailbreak project. I'd gladly pay $20 to a legit outfit that did this for a living and produced reliable, timely, safe breaks.

For all those constant, useless calls to "do it yourself", that's exactly what we have now.

Of course, the downside of having a legit outfit doing the jailbreaking (and charging a nominal fee) would be the attention (and possible lawsuits) that would come their way from Apple.

Maybe what we have now is as good as it's going to get. :(

Which is why donations are key... that way it motivates the "users" to jailbreak...

If jailbreak IS legal, i see no reason why a dedicated group can't do it for living.

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
Like every other aspect of jailbreaking, this topic has already been discussed to death, but with all the repetitive threads, it's easy to miss.

An 'organized workforce' is much easier for Apple to identify and pursue legally.

To Lurkers: Don't bother with whining posts that the Library Of Congress has already said jb is legal. That's irrelevant. If Apple decided to pursue it, they would and they'd bury the 'organized workforce' in legal bills.

They never went after geohot... and god his face WAS on the jailbreak...

Do you think they will do it?

This ENHANCES the iphone and community, specially when this community is SO AGAINST piracy.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
They never went after geohot... and god his face WAS on the jailbreak...

Do you think they will do it?

This ENHANCES the iphone and community, specially when this community is SO AGAINST piracy.

My opinion is - Sony had a different concern (protecting intellectual property) which is why they went after geohot.

Apple wouldn't get much out of pursuing an individual whereas they might from pursuing a corporate entity/business that began doing the jailbreak work.

I also do not believe jb enhances the iPhone/iPad community. While the community might be against piracy, jailbreaking makes it possible. People who spend most of their time on MR, and not the hacking sites, probably do not have an accurate picture of the piracy that's going on.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Jailbreaking an iPhone is currently legal. At least in the U.S. While Apple is appealing the ruling, as it now stands, we can do whatever we want with our phones. So no worries there.

While Jailbreaking the iPhone is legal, using the jailbreak for software piracy is not. I'm sure Apple could play that angle in court if jailbreaking ever comes out of "underground" status and becomes more widespread. For now they are content just patching with every software update.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I updated to 4.3 and regret it big time.

I've never jailbroken before, but would I be able to jailbreak with this when it is released?

Also, would I be able to downgrade back to 4.2.1 using this? Thanks

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I updated to 4.3 and regret it big time.
Why?

I've never jailbroken before, but would I be able to jailbreak with this when it is released?
Yes and no. no one knows when the jb for 4.3 will be available.

Also, would I be able to downgrade back to 4.2.1 using this? Thanks
Is Apple still signing 4.2.1? Since 4.3 was just released, they might be.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
Because Apple isn't making a killing from the 30% they get off of every transaction that goes through the App Store? Not really a reason to open the iOS platform up. If you want open there is always Android.

if 30% is accurate (and I dont doubt you) that is a ton! especially for something they didnt even make. I need to start my own app store :D

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
To jailbreak or not to jailbreak?

Hi guys,

So, I'm thinking of jailbreaking my iPhone 4 for the very first time. BUT, just wanted to know if I can update to the official iOS 4.3 for now. I am literally downloading the update on iTunes, but will installing iOS 4.3 mean that I wont be able to jailbreak when the 4.3 Jailbreak is released?

Thanks. ;)

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
...but will installing iOS 4.3 mean that I wont be able to jailbreak when the 4.3 Jailbreak is released?

Read this sentence slowly and the answer should appear.:D

If you install 4.3 and the jailbreak is for 4.3, why wouldn't you be able to jailbreak?

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Getting mixed messages here.

Are hackers only working on sustaining jailbreaks, what about people without SHSH, are new hacks never going to be made?

I don't have SHSH btw, so does that mean I can NEVER jailbreak?

Cortezbanks

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ashin said:

Are hackers only working on sustaining jailbreaks, what about people without SHSH, are new hacks never going to be made?

Not at all. It just means you can't downgrade. Since 4.3 is latest and a jailbreak for 4.3 should be out soon you are fine

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia

When you install your firmware (4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3), Apple requires you to check with their servers and the phone checks that the "SHSH blobs" that Apple provides the phone are accurate and that the firmware is one that's most recent. However, some smart people have found a way to save your SHSH blobs if you have jailbroken and trick your computer into thinking it's talking to Apple when it's really all taking place on your computer using a program called TinyUmbrella. TinyUmbrella then uses your saved blobs as confirmation for the phone that the firmware is the newest (even if it's not). Thus, people have jailbroken in the past can downgrade their firmware to any level that they have saved their blobs for (which Cydia, the "jailbreak store," will do automatically if you want).

As of 4.1, the jailbreakers have been using an exploit (the limera1n exploit) that is a part of the iPhone's bootrom, which is a part of the hardware more or less and cannot at all be changed. Thus, no matter what Apple does to iOS, this exploit can be used to jailbreak all iPhones. The tools used to jailbreak haven't been honed for the iOS 4.3 jailbreak to make it a really easy process yet for regular users, however, though that should only require minor tweaking and still use the same exploit.

However, this limera1n exploit only allows for a tethered jailbreak, meaning the phone must be re-jailbroken every time it is turned on or restarted. Currently, using other exploits in iOS, every firmware except 4.3 has an untethered jailbreak, meaning the devices can be turned on and off like normal. What we are mostly waiting for is the untethered iOS jailbreak, which this thread shows developers think the untethered jailbreak should be doable soon. Hope this helps, I'm not an expert, but this I think is a decent explanation of the basics of jailbreaking and where we stand today.

EDIT: We're also waiting for an unlock for iPhone 4's at basebands that Apple has used since iOS 4.1. The baseband is what the phone part of the iPhone uses and cannot be downgraded once upgraded. However, certain tools have allowed people to upgrade beyond 4.0.2 without upgrading their baseband (Tinyumbrella is one such workaround). Thus, when it warns people not to upgrade to 4.3, it means wait for the tools to adjust so that the upgrade can be done without updating the baseband. Once you upgrade your firmware (4.3), that's when you actually do the jailbreak. The purpose of an unlock is to allow you to use the AT&T iPhone on other networks like T-Mobile or European networks.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003

I usually get a kick out of your rants, but I especially like this part. "The actual law is irrelevant, I think Apple is above the law because they have more money."

There's a reason defendants can ask for lawyers fees, and this is the reason. The law is explicit and undeniable. If Apple sued, it'd either get dismissed with prejudice or there'd be organizations and lawyers lining up around the block to get a crack at their deep pockets. Especially the EFF, who requested the exemption in the first place.

Last edited:

vince24L

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Great. I would have waited to update if I knew they were going to wait till 4.3.1. This phone is boring without cydia.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I usually get a kick out of your rants, but I especially like this part. "The actual law is irrelevant, I think Apple is above the law because they have more money."

There's a reason defendants can ask for lawyers fees, and this is the reason. The law is explicit and undeniable. If Apple sued, it'd either get dismissed with prejudice or there'd be organizations and lawyers lining up around the block to get a crack at their deep pockets. Especially the EFF, who requested the exemption in the first place.
Instead of getting a kick out of my rants, try actually reading and understanding them. The proof of my hypothesis is no commercial enterprise, whose very existence, e.g., biteSMS, depends on jailbreak has stepped up to support the jailbreak development process. It's in their best interest to see the number of jb devices increase and that new jbs are ready to go as soon as possible after new iOS code is released. Their developers are just as skilled as the DT and CDT team members. Why haven't they stepped up? I know, they enjoy sitting around waiting just like the rest of us and get a kick out of watching the hackers ego battles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.