Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gambuchi

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Oregon
Since installing this update, I notices a marked slowdown in my PB G4 80gig 1.25gig mem.
It was running just fine prior to that and I updated 3 items as follow:

Nov 13,2005 Java Security Update 4.0
Nov 13,2005 Security Update 2005-2008 1.0
Nov 13,2005 QuickTime 7.0.3

Since these updates, the PB has been slow to boot, sometimes going to the text version firmware screen and others just taking forever to boot; when opening applications from the Dock, it takes forever with the spinning beachball to find and open the application; responce from within an application tends to be slower.

Any ideas would be helpful...

I updated my daughters ibook (G4) and it's behavior is mimicking my PB. Seems to me like the Security Update might be the likely culpert.

I have done the following:
•reset nvprm & pram
•repaired permissions more times than I care to remember
•reset and restarted numerous times.
No worse and no better was the result.

If you can, I would appreciate any help whatsoever...
and please send advice to my email (post on forum too if you like)

Thanks in advance

Dennis

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What sort of third party apps (and maybe hacks) do you have? Particularly, which ones are out of the ordinary? It could be some sort of clash with a non-standard system tool.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
More than likely, you have a corrupt directory based on your description.
I'm assuming you're running 10.4.3. Open disk utility and click on your volume. Click verify disk. If there are errors, you'll need to boot to single user and repair the disk or run Repair Disk from your install disks.

Read your sig and maybe you're running 10.3.9. If so, boot to single user and run fsck -f to repair your directory. Get a copy of Cocktail and enable journaling on your drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.