Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colonel179

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2014
I purchased an iPhone 15 in Febraruy and I immediately noticed that the battery doesn't last long. In 2 hours, without any use whatsoever, the battery goes fro 100% to 85%.

Yesterday, I noticed that under battery usage, it says that Siri is using 65% battery. I have everything about Siri turned off.

I have called Apple Support and have refused to exchange my phone, because they say diagnostics come out perfectly. However, this phone battery doesn't last more than 6 hours when in use (non continuously). In battery settings, it says 15 min use of screen on and 25 min screen off.

I have and old iPhone XS Max (bought in 2018) with 72% battery health, with a notice that needs service, with many functions on, alarmas, weather, background processes on, etc. and it's lasting practically the same every day than the iPhone 15 (which says it's 100% battery health, but without practically using it at all each day).

I have everything turned off (notifications, background processes, Siri, Standby, etc. I also don't have many app installed.

What can I do? Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
I'd also say complete reset and set up from scratch. That usually sorts out these things. And anyway I like to do it every couple of years.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I purchased an iPhone 15 in Febraruy and I immediately noticed that the battery doesn't last long. In 2 hours, without any use whatsoever, the battery goes fro 100% to 85%.

Yesterday, I noticed that under battery usage, it says that Siri is using 65% battery. I have everything about Siri turned off.

I have called Apple Support and have refused to exchange my phone, because they say diagnostics come out perfectly. However, this phone battery doesn't last more than 6 hours when in use (non continuously). In battery settings, it says 15 min use of screen on and 25 min screen off.

I have and old iPhone XS Max (bought in 2018) with 72% battery health, with a notice that needs service, with many functions on, alarmas, weather, background processes on, etc. and it's lasting practically the same every day than the iPhone 15 (which says it's 100% battery health, but without practically using it at all each day).

I have everything turned off (notifications, background processes, Siri, Standby, etc. I also don't have many app installed.

What can I do? Thanks in advanced.
It may be best to:
1. turn off Listen for “Hey Siri” in the Siri & Search Settings
2. Go to Settings -Privacy & Security -Location Services - and see which apps are accessing your location the most, I set most of them to Never except apps like Google Maps, Uber, Weather and UberEats.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
It may be best to:
1. turn off Listen for “Hey Siri” in the Siri & Search Settings
2. Go to Settings -Privacy & Security -Location Services - and see which apps are accessing your location the most, I set most of them to Never except apps like Google Maps, Uber, Weather and UberEats.
Make sure and allow location services for the Camera. My spouse, in a fit of paranoia turned off location for Camera and for a couple of years all of his photos are missing location data. It makes things a pain when trying to find photos.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It's a software issue, exchanging the phone won't help. As said here - nuke it, set it up as new.
Apple’s favorite trouble shooting tip for customers.
It's at least 4th or 5th on my list of favorites ;)

On MY devices, I can decide to dig into it as far as I'd like. On someone else's, I'll try a few things (VPNs? Apps up to date? Remove reinstall apps?) then - Nuke it.

colonel179

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks for all your replies. I was able to get my iPhone exchanged.

I noticed one difference immediately: The new iPhone doesn't get hot. I didn't mind the old getting hot because I thought it was normal, but noticed that after using the new one some time and not getting hot, it was definitely an issue the old one had.

Also, it was definitely a software issue too. How can everything about Siri (and I mean everything) be turned off, and still use 60%+ of battery.

However, I have two more questions If I may:

1) I noticed in the defect phone that there were some apps that were using battery but said while connected to charger. Why?

2) How should I do the first charge for the new phone? Charge it to 100% and disconnect it? Until 80%? Leave it overnight so it begins learning the optimized charging?

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.