update wireless??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jplg842, Feb 20, 2007.

1. jplg842 macrumors regular

Hi. i read some place that apple is offering some kind of upgrade to the wireless Wi-Fi in macbooks and other macs for a small fee?? what is it exactly? how can i get it?

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It's on the Apple Store. I've linked to it, but I don't know for how long that link will work.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Basically, all the Macs that have Core 2 Duos (except the iMac 17") and the Mac Pro (if it has an airport card) have 802.11n wireless capabilities in hardware, but they were not originally shipped with firmware to run 802.11n. You can get a $1.99 upgrade from Apple to use 802.11n, or if you buy the new Airport Extreme BaseStation, you get the upgrade as part of the purchase. The only value of the upgrade is to connect to an 802.11n network (so unless you are doing computer-to-computer connections or you have an 802.11n router, it won't do anything for you). 802.11n is still in draft (so technically, these are all "pre-n" or "draft n" devices), but it is faster and longer range than 802.11g.

Here is the software at the US Apple Store.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This link should last. Note it's for Core2Duo only Macs. If you have a CoreDuo Mac you are out of luck.

Edit to add: beaten to the punch!

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Note also that this comes free with the (new) AirPort Extreme, so, unless you have another 'n' router (and you have a C2D Mac), there's no reason to buy it.

6. jplg842 thread starter macrumors regular