Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
A 15" air limited to 4 or 8 GB of memory doesn't sound very nice. If they allow you to get it with 12 or 16 GB, it would be so bad.

Even Mac Pro barely are capable of use that amount of RAM fully. Stop being ridiculous people.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
15" Air with the inability to upgrade the RAM? No thank you.
It's probably awesome for those that don't need to upgrade - I prefer to have upgradability however :) To each his own I guess.

Yes indeed. Many people have already decided that the Air specs and form factor are ideal. Many more will.

bryanl

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
Even Mac Pro barely are capable of use that amount of RAM fully. Stop being ridiculous people.

I'm not just talking out the side of my head. Some people actually use their macbook pros.

Activity_Monitor-20111128-075857.jpg

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
April 2012 should be the estimated date for Ivy Bridge availability to retail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Ivy_Bridge
Due to having no significant obstacles during the new 3D gate development, Intel planned to begin sale of the processors in the last quarter of 2011,[15] with retail availability from April 2012.[16]
If this is still up to date information an Ivy Bridge model in Q1 2012 is possible.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
umm intel tends to give apple stuff that may not be avail. to others....just because they tell the public its not ready for Q1 does not mean apple may not have a deal drawn up to bring them out.

your logic is only proper if you knew insider information from intel.

Digitimes is such an incompetent site.

A bit of logic:
Is Ivy bridge ready Q1?

Answer:
No

Will Apple release a new macbook air weeks before Ivy bridge?
Answer:
No.

Macbook air refresh is technically possible when Ivy bridge is ready. Intel have before given Apple CPUs a couple of month before other companies but since Intel/Apple exclusive contract ended Intel have not given Apple pre released CPUs.

This is just like Ipad2+ Ipad2HD that would be released earlier this year. I asked all "experts": Who is going to produce the 28nm A6 and the Retina display? Stuff can't be released before its technically possible.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Maybe. I think eventually the Air moniker from being dropped from the MacBook completely.…I feel we'll end up with MacBook and MacBook Pro down the road.

Regardless of whether there is a 15" Air, I'm just hoping there still is a "Pro" 15" model. I just feel that there are too many compromises if Apple went exclusively with a 15" Air.

I agree. IMO opinion we'll see a MacBook (formerly called Air) line at 11, 13, and 15. And then we'll see a thinner MacBook Pro line sans-optical drive at 13, 15, and 17.

The need to have a dedicated GPU, quad-core CPU, and beefy RAM means the 15" "Air" can't be the only 15" model. Just can't.

The two big questions in my mind are:

1) will the MBP keep hard drives? Not exclusively, but in conjunction with SSD's baked in. Many of us like lots of storage on our laptops, although Apple may not care. At any rate, they could put in a 7 mm or 9.5 mm drive and still cut a lot of thickness.

2) Will losing the optical drive allow quad core CPUs and discrete graphics in the 13" MBP? If necessary, maybe as mutually exclusive options ala the MacMini

Last edited:

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
If they can equal the power of a macbook pro but keep it airishly thin due to removing the optical drive, no question it will be the one to purchase!

----------

I'm not just talking out the side of my head. Some people actually use their macbook pros.

This is a win! :) haha and I agree. I use every bit of the 8GB of RAM that are in my macbook Pro... :)

For me to purchase a 15" Air:

1. equal or better battery life
2. Powerful Core i7 Processor
3. Equal or better integrated graphics
4. At least 256GB SSD - that is able to work with a bootcamp partition (could someone confirm this for the current air?)
5. 8+ GB of RAM
6. Equal or better display
7.Backlit Keyboard
8. Good speakers (the ones on the air currently don't have anything on the pro... they sound comparatively tinny)

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Sorry, but that's incorrect. Mac OSX will use as much RAM as you throw at it. If there is a lot free it will use it for system caching and even creates a RAM disk in the background.

I can easily see 20 GB page ins and 10 GB page outs during a normal day.

jamisonbaines

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2007
CA
even if apple is able to get the ivy bridge chips early there is still a span of months between the initial ivy bridge offerings and the low voltage chips that go into the air models

it would be reasonable for them to start selling a 15" air using chips in line with the current 11 and 13" mba. just an addition to the line.

the original post is pure speculation

and whoever quoted the guy who sent back his 11 based on some empty rumor, have fun with that.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Well....i still think this rumored 15" model COULD be the redesigned MacBook Pro. These guys don't know for sure, hence the "?" in the title.

The Optical drive is history in my opinion. The question is can Apple put the power Macbook Pro users are currently used to into a design as thin as a macbook air yet? Or will the optical-less Macbook Pros have to be a tad thicker than the current Airs?

Its going to be interesting to see how Apple markets these future computers. With the Macbooks gone...and the Airs the "new" macbooks in essence....how will the differentiate them with the upcoming macbook pros looks wise? Will the Air line eventually BECOME the Pro line? And the ipad become the "macbook" replacement?

Yup. Gonna be interesting.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Let's hope Intel is letting Apple get their hands on the processors a bit early :). If it is indeed the Ivy Air, I'm getting one for sure. Now let's just hope for 8Gb memory options as well..

Ivy Bridge + 8GB (user upgradable) option and I'm probably a buyer too. I'm totally OK with losing the optical, though the final port options might be a bit of a deciding factor.

Basically I'm in a holding pattern to see how this pans out and I can definitely wait a few months. If it's RAM limited, or there's an interim non-IB based update that also adds the 15" Air model, no biggie, I'll just score a 15" MBP.

Assuming my HP holds out that long, based on the recent fan noise, that's about 50/50 :D

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I understand that this is only a rumor but if it's true; great news!

I'm on my second 11" MBA and can't see ever using anything else. BTW, the only reason I bought a second one was that I gave my first one to my daughter. Mind you, I was one of those die-hard's who could never see having a laptop as a primary computer. Just didn't seem right. However, the landscape of my company changed and portable computing became critical. So, I took the leap to an 11" MBA mated to a 27" ACD. I fooled around with the 13" as well but there was no compelling reason for me to pay the additional money for what IMO was not that discernable a difference in screen real estate. A 15" MBA? I'll throw my ducats at that in a heartbeat.

In terms of processors, I think I represent the vast majority of peeps when I say that as exciting as Ivy Bridge may appear, it won't really make a difference in my day-to-day computing as compared with my current 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5. Honestly, I can't think of a single time with my current MBA where I was waiting on my processor to complete a task I threw at it. Obviously I'm not into stuff like Photoshop or video encoding but, once again, I think I represent the vast majority of people. In terms of RAM, I maxed out my Air with 4 gigs and I normally have 5 or so apps running smoothly.

I certainly see the need for MBP's as there are those who regularly use processor intensive apps but for most of us, the MBA more than meets our computing needs.

'Nuff said. Happy computing.

sperry1988

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2011
it makes you look dumb if your complaining that you need more ram because your a "PRO" user.. Especially considering there is a macbook with the ability to expand the ram out there with the name PRO...

You don't see consumers complaining the the mac PRO is too big and has too many hard drive bays do you? so why are you complaining about the consumer side not fitting your non consumer needs...

Why don't you go tell ford that their fiesta doesn't have the towing capability you need for your construction company...

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I do not see a whole lot of difference between the two chip sets, but the advancements to improved battery life and graphical performance will be worth it, however the cpu speeds and over clocking seem to be just about the same.

liquimatic

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2011
at what point will we see edge-to-edge displays? The current borders around lcd screens look so 1980's to me.

tarproductions

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
San Diego, CA
I was really excited for this machine to replace my MacBook Pro 2,1. Ended up going with a 13" Air recently and couldn't be happier. This machine should also be great!

The rumor makes sense, Apple is putting more emphasis on portables and the current MacBook Pro line isn't all that "portable" when compared to using an Air.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

For some reason I still think its for the Pro. Apple scrapped 15" Air plans before releasing the current Air in its design.

Yes, I think the MBP's will all get the Air form factor.

Economies in producing the same "base" . Maybe the MBP's black aluminum and Air's silver.

Both lines will eventually merge when the Ivy bridges are ready and tested and the HD and SSD are in the same ranges.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
I agree. IMO opinion we'll see a MacBook (formerly called Air) line at 11, 13, and 15. And then we'll see a thinner MacBook Pro line sans-optical drive at 13, 15, and 17.

The need to have a dedicated GPU, quad-core CPU, and beefy RAM means the 15" "Air" can't be the only 15" model. Just can't.

The two big questions in my mind are:

1) will the MBP keep hard drives? Not exclusively, but in conjunction with SSD's baked in. Many of us like lots of storage on our laptops, although Apple may not care. At any rate, they could put in a 7 mm or 9.5 mm drive and still cut a lot of thickness.

2) Will losing the optical drive allow quad core CPUs and discrete graphics in the 13" MBP? If necessary, maybe as mutually exclusive options ala the MacMini

My thoughts:

1) Yep. Pros need more storage and SSDs are too pricey at higher capacities (think 512 GB x 2 in RAID array). Moreover, TB is neither ubiquitous nor cost-effective yet, so an externally connected TB storage system is not an option.

2) I hope so. If Apple drops the OD in the MBP in the future, I think Apple will need to distinguish the 13" MBP from the 13" MBA with better processors (quad-cores), discrete graphics, and more storage. Without all three, the MBP will collapse into the MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.