Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biggoolies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Hi there:

A good friend gave me a 450 mhz processor. I swapped out my 350mhz. It seemed to be working okay until the computer froze. Restart gets it going again. Thinking it was something else, I went as far as reformating a drive and putting a OS 10.3 on. It still froze. I have swapped back to the 350 mhz and it is working fine so far touch wood. What went wrong?

Thanks for your help.
Darcy

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Sounds like the processor might be overheating. What else did you do when you installed the processor? Did you change any jumpers around?

deanbo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
G4 350 Now Freezes

I had a G4 350 (PCI) and I upgraded to a G3 450. It worked fine for a while, then it kept constantly crashing. The problem was the processor, basically it just died I think. Dare I say you're having the same problem.

biggoolies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
crazzyeddie said:
Sounds like the processor might be overheating. What else did you do when you installed the processor? Did you change any jumpers around?

No nothing, just opened up the computer, took the heatsink off removed the 350 processor, put the 450 in and then started it up. Where are the jumpers, if they are on the processor, maybe my friend had done that.

Darcy

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
biggoolies said:
Hi there:

A good friend gave me a 450 mhz processor. I swapped out my 350mhz. It seemed to be working okay until the computer froze. Restart gets it going again. Thinking it was something else, I went as far as reformating a drive and putting a OS 10.3 on. It still froze. I have swapped back to the 350 mhz and it is working fine so far touch wood. What went wrong?

Thanks for your help.
Darcy
You seem to be trying to install a processor that was not intended for your computer. Apple designs its computers as balanced systems rather than as a collection of parts. Which model do you own? Which model did your friend get your "upgrade" processor from?

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
Did you reinstall the heatsink on the 450mhz chip, and remember to put thermal paste on it? If not, then your CPU was overheating, and thats the reason for the crashes.

biggoolies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
MisterMe said:
You seem to be trying to install a processor that was not intended for your computer. Apple designs its computers as balanced systems rather than as a collection of parts. Which model do you own? Which model did your friend get your "upgrade" processor from?

Apparently I should be able to upgrade from my agp 350 up to 500 mhz processor.

Darcy

biggoolies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Jigglelicious said:
Did you reinstall the heatsink on the 450mhz chip, and remember to put thermal paste on it? If not, then your CPU was overheating, and thats the reason for the crashes.

I put the heatsink back on but no thermal paste. Ahh maybe that is the problem.

Thanks forgot about that.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
to the dude who said all the BS about apple desihning balences sytems ect, thats BS as the cooling system is identical in all sawtooth systems unless it's a dual (in which case it's not a sawtooth it's a gig ethernet g4), it's not like the MDD's which had different heatsinks for different cpu's.

to the original poster you can upgrade that g4 up to a dual 1.4GHz (though i dont trust gigs deigns anymore because of some stuff they did to try and shut down powerlogix, i'll stick to sonnet and powerlogix from now on

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Hector said:
to the dude who said all the BS about apple desihning balences sytems ect, thats BS as the cooling system is identical in all sawtooth systems unless it's a dual (in which case it's not a sawtooth it's a gig ethernet g4), it's not like the MDD's which had different heatsinks for different cpu's.

to the original poster you can upgrade that g4 up to a dual 1.4GHz (though i dont trust gigs deigns anymore because of some stuff they did to try and shut down powerlogix, i'll stick to sonnet and powerlogix from now on

Erm. This was a 350. that makes it a pre-Sawtooth with a ZIF socket. if the 400 actually had the same socket it shoud work but likely will involve dicking with jumpers or switches.

Google the following (exclude parentheses): " Apple Technical Manuals " and get both the PowerMac G4 (Yikes) and PowerMac G4 (sawtooth) so you can compare the two and find the quirk.

It really is a good idea to ge the thermal paste too.

You should also use the Mobo reset button so the firmware has some clue what it's getting into and reset your PRAM before booting.

biggoolies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Actually it is a AGP 350 so it is a sawtooth.

Darcy

mischief said:
Erm. This was a 350. that makes it a pre-Sawtooth with a ZIF socket. if the 400 actually had the same socket it shoud work but likely will involve dicking with jumpers or switches.

Google the following (exclude parentheses): " Apple Technical Manuals " and get both the PowerMac G4 (Yikes) and PowerMac G4 (sawtooth) so you can compare the two and find the quirk.

You should also use the Mobo reset button so the firmware has some clue what it's getting into and reset your PRAM before booting.

biggoolies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
I believe I can upgrade only a single processor, it would be nice but I don't think so.

Darcy

Hector said:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
biggoolies said:
Actually it is a AGP 350 so it is a sawtooth.

Darcy

That would be really strange as the Sawtooth boards originally were scheduled for 450 and 500 MHz G4s, then dialed back to 400 and 450 MHz processors, due to the lack of output from Motorola.

The Yikes boards had 400 MHz G4s at first and on revision, 350 MHz processors but did not have AGP slots.

nonamedvd

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2004
Got a question...

For those who bought Dual Processor 2.0 last year (2003).. are they eligble to upgrade the new graphic card (6800) for their 30'' since they aren't liquid cooled fan? I'm curious.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
nonamedvd said:
Got a question...

For those who bought Dual Processor 2.0 last year (2003).. are they eligble to upgrade the new graphic card (6800) for their 30'' since they aren't liquid cooled fan? I'm curious.

Somewhat off topic :p , but yes I believe that you can do that.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
mischief said:

apple quietly updated the g4 line http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/350.shtml so there are a fair few agp sawtooths.

as for dual upgradeability it's pot luck some have dual capable logic boards some do not.

i have access to all service manuals direct from apple, if anyone remembers i was the first to post pictures of the dual 2.5GHz g5's watercooling.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
deanbo said:
I had a G4 350 (PCI) and I upgraded to a G3 450. It worked fine for a while, then it kept constantly crashing. The problem was the processor, basically it just died I think. Dare I say you're having the same problem.

Do I read it correctly or is it just a typ-o? You have a G4 system, and you put a G3 in it? I don't believe you can downgrade like this, eventhough the MHZ are higher. Did the thermal paste work and everything is working fine now, or do you keep having crashes??

biggoolies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
This is not from the original poster I put a G4 450 into my G4 350 and it has an AGP board

Darcy

Dreadnought said:
Do I read it correctly or is it just a typ-o? You have a G4 system, and you put a G3 in it? I don't believe you can downgrade like this, eventhough the MHZ are higher. Did the thermal paste work and everything is working fine now, or do you keep having crashes??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.