Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

natus.w

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2021
I just dropped a crucial P3 Plus in my MBP 2015 13'' using this adapter.
The same has worked for me in a late 2015 iMac but the drive would not be recognized at all.

Any idea?

View attachment 2350818
Tried using another disc image (Linux/Windows, etc) to format the drive? (given the reports of it working are mixed you may have the issue of the drive being in a state where it may not be able to be initialised by MacOS..)

paardenkapper

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2023
Germany
No, it‘s already preinstalled with macOS.
Probably just the wrong kind of adapter? The thread says one should look out for the sintech adapter.

borre_mac

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2024
I have a mbp mid 2015 a1398 with a dying Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1tb
I like to replace it with a 2tb nvme. (can a mid 2015 macbook pro handle a 2tb drive?)
I have the option between these drives. which one would you guys reccomend?
Personal I think the SN570 would be a save choice?

- Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB ( I read this ssd get delivered with a Phoenix or Elpis controller, so not sure what you get)
- WD Blue SN570 2TB
- WD Black SN770 2TB
- Crucial P3 2TB (CT2000P3SSD8)
ended with a WD Blue SN580 2TB

primair I use windows (10) on my macbook.
I need to reinstall everything.

is it posible to only install windows without osx and bootcamp?
or is it better to first install osx an then win10 with bootcamp?
which version of osx would then be ideal?

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
Hello, how has the intel 670p been in your MacBook Pro ? Any issues? I experienced some slow down running applications. Wondering if you experienced the same.
Sorry I missed this. I wound up not getting it. Instead I played it safe and got a used legit Apple SSD from a 2013 trashcan Mac Pro off eBay, because I wanted to dual boot into macOS El Capitan to use with an old DJ mixer and you can't do that with an adapter. The trashcan SSD has been working really well; all I had to do was remove the heat sink with a hair dryer and a spudger.

natus.w

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2021
Are any/all of those quite lower power like the P31 do you know?
That was the big draw for the P31 Gold
With the hardware variations that may occur between each drive it is difficult to predict what sort of figures you may get without testing each option.

Worse case you can use the 2 kexts mentioned (copy to Extensions or use a native OCLP build and inject them)

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

jrumball

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
I have just upgraded a 2013 13inch MacBook Air with a P31 Gold and at the same time upgraded to Ventura via OCLP. Both the latest version.

i am now getting random crashes caused by windowserver, where the display freezes but say a zoom call can still be heard and interacted with the only way to recover is to reboot the machine ?

i assume the is Ventura related not related to the SSD upgrade ?

frabbjt

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2024
Hi everybody!

My configuration is:
  • MacBook Pro Retina 13" late 2013 (MacBookPro11,1)
  • 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5 dual-core
  • 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • macOS Big Sur 11.7.10
  • Firmware 478.0.0.0.0
Two months ago my original Apple SSD 256 GB stopped working and I was suggested to make an attempt to change it by myself because it’s out of date and at the Apple Store couldn’t fix it up.
At first I tried with this Timetec which worked two weeks. In this short period of time, also the original Apple SSD booted occasionally.
After that Timetec SSD caused MacBook not to turn on (black screen with fan working at low speed, can't execute SMC and NVRAM reset or any other key combination).

Therefore I found this forum and I decided to buy Sintech adapters (short and long) and a WD SN570 1 TB.
Unfortunately with this setting Macbook does not boot, I have a grey screen (SMC and NVRAM reset work but do not change anything, safe boot doesn’t work). I succed in installing macOS Big Sur with a USB enclosure from a bootable USB drive. WD SSD boots if in the enclosure but not if assembled on MacBook.
I didn’t give up so I bought a SK Hynix Gold P31 but I obtain the Grey Flashing Folder Question Mark (the same with original Apple SSD).
Nothing change if I install Big Sur with the USB enclosure and then mount the p31 on the logic board (SSD not detectable, folder question mark).
I think it should be a problem of the connector on the logic board, am I wrong?
Don’t know if I should try with a used original Apple SSD on eBay or change the logic board.

Thank you very much for suggestions!

F

dogen

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
I have just upgraded a 2013 13inch MacBook Air with a P31 Gold and at the same time upgraded to Ventura via OCLP. Both the latest version.

i am now getting random crashes caused by windowserver, where the display freezes but say a zoom call can still be heard and interacted with the only way to recover is to reboot the machine ?

i assume the is Ventura related not related to the SSD upgrade ?
No issues here with the P31 and short Sintech adapter in my MBA 2013. Can you go back to the last working OS? I'd see if that runs with the P31. Note, though, that it's my understanding that to successfully install an NVMe SSD, the Mac had to have been updated to Catalina or later because of a necessary firmware update. Also take a look at the OCLP Ventura thread.

dogen

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Hi everybody!

My configuration is:
  • MacBook Pro Retina 13" late 2013 (MacBookPro11,1)
  • 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5 dual-core
  • 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • macOS Big Sur 11.7.10
  • Firmware 478.0.0.0.0
Two months ago my original Apple SSD 256 GB stopped working and I was suggested to make an attempt to change it by myself because it’s out of date and at the Apple Store couldn’t fix it up.
At first I tried with this Timetec which worked two weeks. In this short period of time, also the original Apple SSD booted occasionally.
After that Timetec SSD caused MacBook not to turn on (black screen with fan working at low speed, can't execute SMC and NVRAM reset or any other key combination).

Therefore I found this forum and I decided to buy Sintech adapters (short and long) and a WD SN570 1 TB.
Unfortunately with this setting Macbook does not boot, I have a grey screen (SMC and NVRAM reset work but do not change anything, safe boot doesn’t work). I succed in installing macOS Big Sur with a USB enclosure from a bootable USB drive. WD SSD boots if in the enclosure but not if assembled on MacBook.
I didn’t give up so I bought a SK Hynix Gold P31 but I obtain the Grey Flashing Folder Question Mark (the same with original Apple SSD).
Nothing change if I install Big Sur with the USB enclosure and then mount the p31 on the logic board (SSD not detectable, folder question mark).
I think it should be a problem of the connector on the logic board, am I wrong?
Don’t know if I should try with a used original Apple SSD on eBay or change the logic board.

Thank you very much for suggestions!

F
Since you've confirmed that the WD isn't at fault, since it boots from an external enclosure—presumably you'd get the same result with the P31 if you were to install Big Sur on it?—it sounds as if the problem is elsewhere. Had you connected the Timetec to the logic board with the same Sintech adapters or something else? I ask because you were briefly successful with a third-party NVMe SSD, which rules out a need for a firmware update. It's possible you've been unlucky with faulty adapters, but it's also possible you've got some other hardware issue. Can you find a way to run hardware diagnostics on the machine? It would be nice if the Apple Store could do that at least, even if it's beyond Apple's repair horizon.

frabbjt

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2024
Since you've confirmed that the WD isn't at fault, since it boots from an external enclosure—presumably you'd get the same result with the P31 if you were to install Big Sur on it?—it sounds as if the problem is elsewhere. Had you connected the Timetec to the logic board with the same Sintech adapters or something else? I ask because you were briefly successful with a third-party NVMe SSD, which rules out a need for a firmware update. It's possible you've been unlucky with faulty adapters, but it's also possible you've got some other hardware issue. Can you find a way to run hardware diagnostics on the machine? It would be nice if the Apple Store could do that at least, even if it's beyond Apple's repair horizon.

Yes, I have the same result with p31 with Big Sur and Windows 10 (bootable form external drive, not if assembled). I don't think it's a problem of the adapters (same result with either short and long Sintech and with another one non-Sintech adapter). Timetec SSD has 12-14 pin connector, no adapter need.
Diagnostic tool shows VDH002 error. At the Apple Store the hardware diagnostic showed a storage problem (at that time was original Apple SSD mounted).
Thank you

dogen

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Yes, I have the same result with p31 with Big Sur and Windows 10 (bootable form external drive, not if assembled). I don't think it's a problem of the adapters (same result with either short and long Sintech and with another one non-Sintech adapter). Timetec SSD has 12-14 pin connector, no adapter need.
Diagnostic tool shows VDH002 error. At the Apple Store the hardware diagnostic showed a storage problem (at that time was original Apple SSD mounted).
Thank you
You've probably already looked into VDH002 errors, but here's a link to an iFixit forum thread that mentions it, along with a couple of testing and repair gambits.

frabbjt

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2024
Hmnn, so you slot in the Timetec nvme without the adapter?

I wonder if that is something correct to do. If not, it could have damaged the nvme as well as the logic board socket.

Not sure.

I hope not so! It's designed for Mac connector... Additionally I was unofficially advised to try with this one at the Apple Store.
61eEOA4URUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81vGQd17fcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You've probably already looked into VDH002 errors, but here's a link to an iFixit forum thread that mentions it, along with a couple of testing and repair gambits.

Thank you! But I think I have updated the firmware with Big Sur and I also checked with SilentKnight. I was told during Apple hardware diagnostic (at the beginning) that a "storage error" could mean either a SSD or a logic board problem but the Apple technician suggested to me to try with an afermarket SSD (Timetec).

Nvme encolsure for Apple/Timetec SSD is about 90€.
I think my option are buying an used original Apple SSD (20-30€) to confirm it's not a SSD issue or directly try to change the logic board (150€).
What do you think?

dogen

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
I think my option are buying an used original Apple SSD (20-30€) to confirm it's not a SSD issue or directly try to change the logic board (150€).
What do you think?
20€ isn't much to invest in a test an SSD. That said, my hunch is it's a logic board issue. At that point I'd think about donating or selling the laptop, since it's already 11 years old, and finding a new or used replacement, unless you like fixing stuff just for fun.

frabbjt

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2024
20€ isn't much to invest in a test an SSD. That said, my hunch is it's a logic board issue. At that point I'd think about donating or selling the laptop, since it's already 11 years old, and finding a new or used replacement, unless you like fixing stuff just for fun.

You're right... It's all about I think it's a good machine for my needs and at this point "it became personal with me" :)

Flyview

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2018
First off, thank you to everyone that's contributed to this thread! I've been reading it for hours and noticed the first post summarizes everything quite well.

I want to perform this upgrade on my late 2013 15" MacBook Pro that currently has the stock 512GB Apple SSD. I have a couple of questions:

1) Are the number of lanes for PCIe (x2 or x4) determined by the SSD or the motherboard? Will my 2013 support x4 or will it always be x2? In System Report under SATA, under Apple controller, I'm currently seeing a "link width" of x2. [EDIT: The stock Apple SSD shows under SATA and not PCIe because they were "SATAexpress over PCIe, not really PCIe". Source.

2) Which 1TB would you recommend to maximize speeds but also have low power consumption? I don't want to pick one that's too fast for what my MBP can support anyway (related to question 1).

3) As far as I understand, the hibernation issues have been resolved with the bootrom from Big Sur. Are there any other limitations left?

Thanks!

Last edited:

natus.w

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2021
1) Are the number of lanes for PCIe (x2 or x4) determined by the SSD or the motherboard? Will my 2013 support x4 or will it always be x2? In System Report under SATA, under Apple controller, I'm currently seeing a "link width" of x2.
I believe that is all hardware limited (the config is set by Apple and cannot be altered)

2) Which 1TB would you recommend to maximize speeds but also have low power consumption? I don't want to pick one that's too fast for what my MBP can support anyway (related to question 1).
Something like an SN570/580 would work as a baseline for your needs (decent value of performance/power draw)

But there may be other options that are available for far less or cheaper (you will have to test these yourself and determine if it isn’t compatible or needs extra power management kexts, etc)

3) As far as I understand, the hibernation issues have been resolved with the bootrom from Big Sur. Are there any other limitations left?
I believe they have been mostly fixed, but if issues persist you can try updating the NVME driver (using a file from a later model machine supposedly can fix some issues; some of them may be related to the DXE file used in the previous firmware but you will have to do this with great care)

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/post-32930909

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/post-26224320

Other than that there’s not much in the way of limitations besides what speeds you’ll get (with the narrow interface I wouldn’t expect too much in terms of speed; you’re probably better off prioritising capacity here..)

Last edited:

Flyview

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2018
I believe that is all hardware limited (the config is set by Apple and cannot be altered)

Something like an SN570/580 would work as a baseline for your needs (decent value of performance/power draw)

Thanks! My original drive is PCI 2.0 2x, but I believe the motherboard actually supports PCI 2.0 4x? And this is actually where a lot of the improvement in speed will come from? Can anyone confirm this for a late 2013 15"?

I was reading this thread for hours again last night and learned a lot. Sounds like maybe the "best" contender is the SK Hynix P31 as it presents no issues and is the most power efficient.

Has the SN580 been successfully confirmed to work? [EDIT: Yes, it has, a few times. Searched the thread. Here's a good example.] It's a Gen 4 and I read a dozen pages back to try and stick to Gen 3. It's cheaper than the SN570 on Amazon right now. The Kioxia Exceria also seems to be highly recommended but I can't find a 1TB available on Amazon right now.

Last edited:

darkskies

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
London
Last week I installed a couple of Hynix P31s in a 2017 iMac 4k and a 2015 11" MBA. Used short (non-Sintech)adapters I found on Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HPGZL8S) and everything is working perfectly on both. No sleep issues at all.

Speeds of around 1000mb/s on the MBA and 2000mb/s on the iMac.

Thanks to everyone who installed the P31 before me which gave me the confidence to use them.

natus.w

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2021
Thanks! My original drive is PCI 2.0 2x, but I believe the motherboard actually supports PCI 2.0 4x? And this is actually where a lot of the improvement in speed will come from? Can anyone confirm this for a late 2013 15"?

You are correct, but despite the extra lanes you will be limited by the PCIE2.0 bus regardless.
I was reading this thread for hours again last night and learned a lot. Sounds like maybe the "best" contender is the SK Hynix P31 as it presents no issues and is the most power efficient.

Has the SN580 been successfully confirmed to work? It's a Gen 4 and I read a dozen pages back to try and stick to Gen 3. It's cheaper than the SN570 on Amazon right now. The Kioxia Exceria also seems to be highly recommended but I can't find a 1TB available on Amazon right now.
I believe there are a few reports of the SN580 working (you can search this thread here), but you will be speed limited with the narrow bus (which is why a lot of people will recommend the now outdated Gen3 devices)

There may be other alternatives but I cannot confirm their performance under MacOS nor if there are any issues due to the wide variation in hardware between each drive model (you may have to test and see for yourself if it is compatible, some drives will need initialisation under a different image if the machine cannot see them natively; power management may or need the external kexts)

Last edited:

Selt3Z

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2024
Hi. Maybe somebody knows. I have inserted 4TB ADATA SX8100 to mbp15 2015 and trying to install macOS. Monterey installer is seeing the SSD, but if I try to install Catalina installer is not seeing the SSD. How can I resolve this kind of problem? I like Catalina and I want to install definitely it.

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
Hi. Maybe somebody knows. I have inserted 4TB ADATA SX8100 to mbp15 2015 and trying to install macOS. Monterey installer is seeing the SSD, but if I try to install Catalina installer is not seeing the SSD. How can I resolve this kind of problem? I like Catalina and I want to install definitely it.
Interesting.. Why not use Monterey? Been running fine on my 2015 Air for a long time. Did you try to remake the Catalina installer? I just realized you had SX8100.. Are those compatible? I have the 2TB SX8200 Pro..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.