Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
Hi,
I'm concerned that my 3-months old iBook wont be able to run Warcraft 3, because it has lisetd requirements of a 16Mb 3D card.
Is there any way to upgrade the 8MB card the iBook came with to the one found in the new iBooks? I know its not a supported option in Apple's site, but is it feasible?

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Re: Upgrading an iBook 600

Originally posted by colocolo
Hi,
I'm concerned that my 3-months old iBook wont be able to run Warcraft 3, because it has lisetd requirements of a 16Mb 3D card.
Is there any way to upgrade the 8MB card the iBook came with to the one found in the new iBooks? I know its not a supported option in Apple's site, but is it feasible?

There is no way to do this, because it is soldered into the motherboard. The only way to get the performance of the new iBook is to buy the new iBook. That is the only downside to laptops is that you cannot upgrade video etc.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i would only try to up ram on any laptop...some like to put in new hard drives, but i prefer external storage since it has finally come down in price for us mortals

you can try your game on 8 MB vram...i sometimes try stuff that is too high end for my laptops, and i still do ok...but sometimes the frames stutter and pause a bit

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
thats just recommended vram
you could use it but it might get choppy but as long as you can play the game the its should be fine

hobie

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
far, far away
All you could do is try to oc it. This would kill your warranty, but if it's the only way to get it run... However, I'd first try to play the game before thinking about tweaks. I don't know what warlord takes, but every game i have runs smoothly on my iBook500 (100Mhz tweakes fsb), which are: Civilisation3, Q3A, UT, Unreal, Tropico... Not at highest resolution, but they run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.