Upgrading an older mac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rschapel, Mar 2, 2004.

1. rschapel macrumors member

Feb 5, 2004
    A friend of mine has a G3 233 powermac, it currently has a 4g drive in it, and while he is happy with the performance, he is looking for more space. I haven't seen the machine yet (its a work friend), what size drive can this older mac handle? Any advice? Honest he is happy with the speed, just looking for more space...

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow

It can handle any reasonable HD upgrade. I think it was up to 2TB or something.
  3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    However, it might be SCSI. Higher prices, lower capacity.
  4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    the beige G3 only has external scsi capability I think. the internal HD bus is an older IDE with a max tranfer rate of 16MB/sec (its the technology that existed just before ultra ata/33). on this bus you should be able to use any modern ata drive under 137GB. since there are no 137GB drives you could go up to a 120GB. my blue and white has ata/33 and I run 2 drives off it (maxtor 6GB and western dig. 120GB) just fine. I want to add an ata/133 pci card soon to speed up things like app launching and to use the ata/100 speed of the wd drive. maybe your friend could think about this also.
  5. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    At www.xlr8yourmac.com, it appears there are many people dropping 80GB drives in the Beige G3. Don't know if it will be the same for the G3 All-In-One which also ran at 233/266 Mhz.
  6. jamall macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2003
    Canberra, Australia
    An excellent program called MacTracker has all the info you could ever need (such as internal bus types) on every Mac ever made.
  7. DrBoar macrumors member

Aug 29, 2003
    While the beige G3 do take larger HDs it will only work with a booting partition on the first 4 or was it 8 GB so larger HDs has to be partioned to work on the internal IDE. xlr8youmac is a good site for the particulars