Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rschapel

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
A friend of mine has a G3 233 powermac, it currently has a 4g drive in it, and while he is happy with the performance, he is looking for more space. I haven't seen the machine yet (its a work friend), what size drive can this older mac handle? Any advice? Honest he is happy with the speed, just looking for more space...

--Randy

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
rschapel said:
A friend of mine has a G3 233 powermac, it currently has a 4g drive in it, and while he is happy with the performance, he is looking for more space. I haven't seen the machine yet (its a work friend), what size drive can this older mac handle? Any advice? Honest he is happy with the speed, just looking for more space...

--Randy

It can handle any reasonable HD upgrade. I think it was up to 2TB or something.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
the beige G3 only has external scsi capability I think. the internal HD bus is an older IDE with a max tranfer rate of 16MB/sec (its the technology that existed just before ultra ata/33). on this bus you should be able to use any modern ata drive under 137GB. since there are no 137GB drives you could go up to a 120GB. my blue and white has ata/33 and I run 2 drives off it (maxtor 6GB and western dig. 120GB) just fine. I want to add an ata/133 pci card soon to speed up things like app launching and to use the ata/100 speed of the wd drive. maybe your friend could think about this also.

DrBoar

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
close
While the beige G3 do take larger HDs it will only work with a booting partition on the first 4 or was it 8 GB so larger HDs has to be partioned to work on the internal IDE. xlr8youmac is a good site for the particulars

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.