Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Ok, I should have paid attention and I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer. Sorry!

So, I'm contemplating trying out iPadOS 17 beta whatever version. My question is this: say that I have iPadOS 17.2beta installed. Apple released iPadOS 17.2 (final version) to the public. In this scenario, the beta version that I have is also the final release version. How do I then "upgrade" from this beta version to the stable version or more like so that the beta version is now marked a final/stable public version? Is it as simple as just going to the Software Update section of Settings and turning off beta and then following on-screen instructions to just update?

Note: I'm asking a hypothetical because I am not currently running beta anything on my iPad. I'm just contemplating trying out iPad 17.2 beta when it's out (if it's not already out).

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
If the beta/RC version is the same build as the public release, then there is nothing to upgrade to.

If the beta/RC version is not the same as the public release, then you need to turn off the beta setting and check for updates.

If you're on a beta and want to go back to the current public release (i.e. 17.2 beta to 17.1), then you need to put your device into Recovery Mode and restore the OS using Finder/iTunes. Also, you cannot restore backups made from a newer version...you'd need to start as new or restore from a backup made with 17.1 or older.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
If the beta/RC version is the same build as the public release, then there is nothing to upgrade to.
Ok, the above addresses my concern.

Yeah, I get that the beta and the RC are the same version (in the scenario i'm thinking of). I just didn't know if the beta would be marked graphically with "beta" and simply needs a removal of those words/graphics to look like RC. But, your statement provides reassurance :)

I'm mainly concerned about if there is any hassle going to the public final released version of the latest beta installed prior is the public final.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Essentially - turn off Beta updates, and the iPad will update to final release only if that final is later than (in terms of version) the currently installed beta.

As mentioned in some cases, a beta (say, 17.2) may be a final "Release Candidate" and therefore identical to the released 17.2 version. So no update will install for 17.2, but when 17.2.1 or 17.3 is released, you'll update to that.

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
If your'e on the RC during the beta process and that's the build that gets dropped, then you will be on the public release.

It's important to pay attention to the builds more than the iOS versions when you're on beta, that's the important thing to note.

Reactions: msackey

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
This raises another question for me though I can guess the answer.

So say that I'm on watchOS 10.2 beta.

Apple realizes that watchOS 10.1 (released to the public) is having battery management issues and releases watchOS 10.1.5. I think it would mean that if I'm on watchOS 10.2 beta that I couldn't "upgrade" to 10.1.5 because it would be a downgrade. Is that correct?

And in a sense, 10.1.5 at that point is like a different arm since perhaps some of the revisions have not yet made it to 10.2 beta?

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
This raises another question for me though I can guess the answer.

So say that I'm on watchOS 10.2 beta.

Apple realizes that watchOS 10.1 (released to the public) is having battery management issues and releases watchOS 10.1.5. I think it would mean that if I'm on watchOS 10.2 beta that I couldn't "upgrade" to 10.1.5 because it would be a downgrade. Is that correct?

And in a sense, 10.1.5 at that point is like a different arm since perhaps some of the revisions have not yet made it to 10.2 beta?

This can happen in some instances but very rarely and those fixes will just be in the next updated release of 10.2 beta or the final release.

It sounds to me like you should just stay on the general releases if these concerns are coming up for you.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
This can happen in some instances but very rarely and those fixes will just be in the next updated release of 10.2 beta or the final release.

It sounds to me like you should just stay on the general releases if these concerns are coming up for you.
Yes, I have decided to stay on the general release version. There are some potential battery management issues with 10.1 and it's not clear that current 10.2 beta has fixed those issues. I wouldn't want to miss a 10.1.x release though as 10.2 sounds like it wouldn't be released until December.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.