Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Hello all! I plan on signing a job contract hopefully in the coming weeks so I would like to update my long overdue camera this summer. I shoot wedding photography as a second shooter and use my T3 and the main photographers old Mark I. I would like to upgrade my T3, but I'm not sure if I can invest in full frame because that would require me buying all new lenses and that'll be a little too expensive for me. I was looking at maybe the T4 line up to the T6 line. Something that will approach the Mark I quality, but without full frame. Does anyone have any suggestions on a Canon camera that might be what I am looking for?

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
If you want to stay APS-C, go 7D Mark II or the 80D.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a new camera unless you absolutely need to (e.g. camera broke). When that becomes the case, you then have the opportunity to make the full frame plunge (and/or platform switch).

Reactions: nunes013

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Not sure we are helping!

I never do. Whats your excuse? :)
[doublepost=1459359218][/doublepost]
If you want to stay APS-C, go 7D Mark II or the 80D.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a new camera unless you absolutely need to (e.g. camera broke). When that becomes the case, you then have the opportunity to make the full frame plunge (and/or platform switch).

Beyond our tom foolery comments, this is sound advice...

nunes013

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
:DI had a good laugh reading this! All of that really helps. I didn't really want to upgrade, but I feel I have outgrown my T3. But it does make sense to go full frame all at once instead of a stepping stone. Ill hold off now unless a good deal that I can't pass up comes along. But if I did, I would go for the 7D Mark II or the 80D just to stay APS-C. I don't think ill switch brands :p I like my little Canon :) Thanks all!!!!

Reactions: kenoh

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I use Nikon DSLR but I do like the Canon mid range like the 70D or 6D. I would look at the specs and see which one fits your needs. If it like the Nikon line, any one of them will work. I picked up the Nikon D750 because it had improvements in the video, it's full frame, and focuses really fast in low light. Find your top three must haves and go from there.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Ok serious response now. I started with an 1100d (think that is a T3 in US parlance). I then got a 650d a year later, then after that a 70d when it came out. Then I ditched Canon and went Sony A7 and through a lot of planet alignment luck, a Leica. In amongst this I have been using L series glass on the Canons and a vast selection of gorgeous legacy, Zeiss and of late, Leica glass.

What have I learned? Well, I have learned two things,

1. It is all about the emotional connection to taking the picture so get a camera that you will use and will make you WANT to use IT. I have that in the M9

2. I still suck at photography despite "upgrading". Now you need to learn this for yourself as no amount of people saying it will make you believe it but you really have all you need right now to take great pictures.

I think MAYBE an upgrade to a 750/760d would be OK as it takes you out of entry level into mid range with some useful stuff but seriously, you wont realise the true benefit unless you work on taking great pictures with the kit you have right now.

I am currently rocking a Leica M9 and a Sony A7Rii. Top end gear so I now know the weakest link is me not my gear. I am now happier as I try to focus on me getting better rather than the next trinket to buy. Don't get me wrong, I am known on here for my GAS but I am much better than I was.

My point is, start a saving pot now, tell yourself that when you wear out the T3 or you find something IT cannot do then upgrade at that point. Dont get caught up in camera envy as that costs a fortune!

You will get more joy from becoming an expert in your gear you have than constantly being in the " new gear, dont know how to fully use it" category.

Hope this helps.

K

Reactions: jaduff46
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.