Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Hello,

I have a MBP 16GB/512GB i7 from 2017.

Apart from the keyboard, which is pants, I have

I would like to upgrade to a MBA 16/512 M3.

I am using it for social media consumption and Zwift (cycling real time trainer simulator). Will this be a problem let’s say after 3 hours?

How are the speakers compared to my MBP?

Anything else where do you think my current MBP is still better?

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I’m assuming you mean a 15” MBAir, not a 16” MBPro. If so, basically the audio quality will be lower than with your MBPro. Whether it will be enough to bother you, you can figure out. The lightness of the 15” MBAir is wonderful, though. (1.5kg/3.3 lbs vs 1.8kg/3.96 lbs for your present machine and 2.14kg/4.7 lbs for the 16” MBPro). If you can visit a reseller, check it out in person.

My brother replaced his 15” MBPro with a 15” MBAir and is happier than a… something really happy.

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
What problem do you foresee?

Zwift is like a video game, it requires graphics acceleration, I mean, don't get me wrong, its requirements are not that high, but it is not like simple browsing or watching Netflix. I am worried that it will be too much for the MBA. I am currently using an iPad Pro M1 and it runs for 4h no problems. When I use my current MBA 13.3" i7 with 16GB/512GB the fan kicks in straight away (not impressed with the single fan design of my MBP, I think it was not the best choice, but that's a different story).

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
I’m assuming you mean a 15” MBAir, not a 16” MBPro. If so, basically the audio quality will be lower than with your MBPro. Whether it will be enough to bother you, you can figure out. The lightness of the 15” MBAir is wonderful, though. (1.5kg/3.3 lbs vs 1.8kg/3.96 lbs for your present machine and 2.14kg/4.7 lbs for the 16” MBPro). If you can visit a reseller, check it out in person.

My brother replaced his 15” MBPro with a 15” MBAir and is happier than a… something really happy.

I am referring to a potential 13.3" MBA with 16GB of RAM and 512GB. I excluded the 8GB version because I want to keep it for a long time and then pass it down to my small kids for their school activities, when time comes (say in 5-7 years).
So the audio of my 2017 MBP 13.3" is still better than the latest MBA? Interesting. Realistically, I never use it, it's always via headphones so it won't be an issue.

In conclusion looks like a very nice upgrade, might look at some UK refurbished or big retailer M2 models...I read they are very similar to the current M3 models (slight spec bump). I need a new keyboard as the one on mine is driving me crazy. It works well, but it's just such a crap design.

Reactions: leifp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.