Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Greetings thanks for the great post!

Wanted to loop back with an update that Apple does allow users to purchase Mac Studio (2022) SSD Modules at the following website:

Enter your Mac Studio serial number then select desktop repair and SSD Modules.

Below are the part numbers and prices:

Please note Apple only allows shipping to select countries ATM.

It's nice to know that it's possible but I imagine that most with M1 Studios would rather just upgrade to the M3 when it comes out and order with more storage as the other improvements would make it worthwhile for a lot of customers. I am happy with external SSD performance myself as the cost per TB is so much more attractive than Apple's storage.

Reactions: foliovision

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prices via the self service repair program:

512GB ~$450
1TB ~$550
2TB ~$850
4TB ~$1300
8TB ~$2200

Add tax and get 88 bucks back for sending the old modules back in.

The Mac Studio repair manual (manual ID: CWQBNX) is available, and says that the serial number ending in 0 or 1 for the nand module indicates which slot it is supposed to go into.

If anyone is willing to sell their 512GB module, I'd like to try downgrading and would be interested in making a deal (that's less awful than the $450 price... dang).
This ads some hope.

Has this pricing or to our OPS testing changed on the newer M2 series Mac Studio's?

PS: Has everyone with a Mac Studio written into Apple asking, pleading and demanding them the option to upgrade their storage for the life of their machines/ Please/ !!!!

Reactions: sauria

gabrieljsmith1

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
This ads some hope.

Has this pricing or to our OPS testing changed on the newer M2 series Mac Studio's?

PS: Has everyone with a Mac Studio written into Apple asking, pleading and demanding them the option to upgrade their storage for the life of their machines/ Please/ !!!!
Did write the apple self-repair to request. Not currently available but they did say to check back periodically to check when 2023 Mac Studio M2 SSDs will be available. Rumor that the M2 Mac Pro SSD upgrades could work but not sure that is true. Will loop back here if/when the 2023 SSD upgrades land.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and sauria

originalmagneto

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2015
Slovakia
is there any progress on this? I just bought the base m1max studio with 512gb SSD and would like to know if there’s a way to upgrade it. Btw., I live in Slovakia (EU). Thanks!

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
I'm working on 4TB and 8TB upgrades.
maybe will do a kickstarter for this, or sell directly (but not before earl 2024), don't know yet.

I will try to keep the price between 700€ for 4TB and 1400€ for 8TB

Awesome, keep us posted!

mcole94

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2024
maybe will do a kickstarter for this, or sell directly (but not before earl 2024), don't know yet.

So ready for this to be available.

originalmagneto

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2015
Slovakia

How would this work if I can ask? Do you need the unit (Mac Studio) shipped to you? Or is it a DIY solution with instructions? Are there any app, second devices etc. involved?

I have a 512GB M1 Studio now and an upgrade would be appreciated.

PS: Also, I'm EU btw., so 650€ for 4TB? Awesome!

Last edited:

gilles_polysoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Tours (France)
How would this work if I can ask? Do you need the unit (Mac Studio) shipped to you? Or is it a DIY solution with instructions? Are there any app, second devices etc. involved?

I have a 512GB M1 Studio now and an upgrade would be appreciated.

PS: Also, I'm EU btw., so 650€ for 4TB? Awesome!
Hello,
Sorry for my late reply, very busy with customers at my repair shop...

We have completed 2 of the 3 steps : reverse engineering of M1 Mac Studio boards has been finished, schematics have been done and are working on the final layout of the PCB.
Quantity and quality sourcing of the components (genuine new NANDs and power supply IC) has also been done.

The price of the 4TB cannot ben under €700 (unless you have a European VAT registered business) because the 512GB chips are not exactly half the price of the 1TB chips, and we can only built 4TB modules with 8x 512 chips, it's not possible with 4x 1TB chips at the time.

We may have our first 25 samples in late february, and while I will be testing 3 of them 24 hours a day with 3 Mac studios at my office, I'm okay to give some samples for free to various testers.
Anyone can apply for being part of tester.

I'm pretty confident with both my work and my suppliers because I've been doing NAND upgrades for 2 years now and I have dozens of macs (including the one I'm writing this on) that have been working without a hitch ever since, but I don't think it's reasonable to skip a 2-3 months test period.

Then I may launch either a sale on my website (that need to be refreshed :) ) or a kickstarter.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Hello,

We have completed 2 of the 3 steps : reverse engineering of M1 Mac Studio boards has been finished, schematics have been done and are working on the final layout of the PCB.
Quantity and quality sourcing of the components (genuine new NANDs and power supply IC) has also been done.

The price of the 4TB cannot ben under €700 (unless you have a European VAT registered business) because the 512GB chips are not exactly half the price of the 1TB chips, and we can only built 4TB modules with 8x 512 chips, it's not possible with 4x 1TB chips at the time.

We may have our first 25 samples in late february, and while I will be testing 3 of them 24 hours a day with 3 Mac studios at my office, I'm okay to give some samples for free to various testers.

I'm pretty confident with both my work and my suppliers because I've been doing NAND upgrades for 2 years now and I have dozens of macs (including the one I'm writing this on) that have been working without a hitch ever since, but I don't think it's reasonable to skip a 2-3 months test period.

Then I may launch either a sale on my website (that need to be refreshed :) ) or a kickstarter.
Thanks for the update, great news for those of us in EU.

What about the M2 based Mac Studio? 😅

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Hello,

I am in Europe, What would be involved being a Beta tester ?

gilles_polysoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Tours (France)
What about the M2 based Mac Studio? 😅

We will start working on M2 based MacStudio cards as soon as we have finished the M1 ones (and after that I guess there will be M3 Mac Studios 😅)
The M2 Mac studios cards are BGA315 based.

Unlike M1 Mac Studio cards, you can already buy brand new NAND cards for the Mac Studio M2 on the Apple Store because they are the same as in the Mac Pro M2 :

I am in Europe, What would be involved being a Beta tester ?

Apart from owning a MacStudio, I would ask only three conditions :
  1. making regular backups
  2. making regular backups
  3. and also making regular backups :)
Not suing me in case of any data loss would be a plus.

More seriously, it would of course involve being able to mount yourself the cards (quite easy following the instructions on the Mac Studio manual) and having a second mac to install the OS with Apple Configurator 2.

Apart from that, I'd only ask for regular feedback (like a DriveDX capture and a blackmagic disk speed test each week for at least 3 months) and also, testers who wrote at least 250GB each day would be preferred.
I will take in charge shipping fees, even worldwide, but plan to limit initially to 10 testers.

tonib.

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2023
Everywhere
I upgraded a Mac Pro 2023 from 1 to 2 TB using apple 2TB SSD upgrade kit consisting of a pair of 1TB NAND, I still have the Original 1T that I removed from The Mac Pro, Physically it looks the same as the NAND of the Mac Studio, Can I use it to upgrade a Mac Studio from 512 to 1 TB

gilles_polysoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Tours (France)
I upgraded a Mac Pro 2023 from 1 to 2 TB using apple 2TB SSD upgrade kit consisting of a pair of 1TB NAND, I still have the Original 1T that I removed from The Mac Pro, Physically it looks the same as the NAND of the Mac Studio, Can I use it to upgrade a Mac Studio from 512 to 1 TB
The connector of the Mac Studio and Mac Pro daughter SSD are the same, but Mac Pro M2 cards are a bit longer than Mac Studio ones, with their shields it would unfortunately prevent them to take place in the Mac Studio.
Also, SSD from a M2 don't work in a M1

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
We will start working on M2 based MacStudio cards as soon as we have finished the M1 ones (and after that I guess there will be M3 Mac Studios 😅)
The M2 Mac studios cards are BGA315 based.

Unlike M1 Mac Studio cards, you can already buy brand new NAND cards for the Mac Studio M2 on the Apple Store because they are the same as in the Mac Pro M2 :

Yeah, those upgrade prices direct from Apple are ridiculous 😂

Luckily with TB5 / USB4 v2 on the horizon it won't matter much going forward.

originalmagneto

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2015
Slovakia
Hello,

Well, sounds like a plan! Keep us updated, I’d me more than happy to help out in any way possible. I’m from Slovakia btw.

Signing up for betatesting!

My config: Mac Studio (2022), M1 Max, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 24 Core GPU.

👍👍👍

Last edited:

Alchemist

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2004
UK
I'm from the UK. Not sure if you'd be willing to include a UK user in this project but I'd be interested in being involved. I didn't vote for Brexit (stupid policy!).

I currently own the M1 Ultra Mac Studio and make daily backups!

Chester Miles

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2024
Nederland
Well Gilles,
I'm interested in the beta testing program for the upgraded SSD for the Mac Studio M1. I own a Mac Studio (2022) with an M1 Max chip, 32GB RAM, and a 512GB SSD. I'm located in the Netherlands and would be thrilled to be a part of your testing program.

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Hello,

I

I, too, am interested in testing your memory upgrade for the M1 Studio. Please let me know what needs to be accomplished in your beta test. TIA.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Someone managed to upgrade from 1TB to 8TB
What can we make of his methods? Right after showing only one daughter card is on the dissembled Studio, he pulled out 2 fresh cards but proceed to de-solder NANDs from it? So those two cards came as a pair from somewhere else or not? Or was one of them the original card from the dissembled Studio?

Sauve Mon Mac

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2024
Someone managed to upgrade from 1TB to 8TB
What can we make of his methods? Right after showing only one daughter card is on the dissembled Studio, he pulled out 2 fresh cards but proceed to de-solder NANDs from it? So those two cards came as a pair from somewhere else or not? Or was one of them the original card from the dissembled Studio?

You can use the original card and a spare one from selfrepair : remove the 8 chips and replace them with 8 new kicm223
Boom 8To after DFU :)
It will cost you around 800€ just in components !

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
You can use the original card and a spare one from selfrepair : remove the 8 chips and replace them with 8 new kicm223
Boom 8To after DFU :)
It will cost you around 800€ just in components !
In some of this guy's videos, he mentioned his shop charges 1/3 of Apple's BTO upgrade price. The 8TB Studio BTO costs around 2200 Euro? (I converted from my region's Apple Store), so the shop can still make a small margin of 100 Euro. If the shop sourced the components "elsewhere" then surely the margin can be much higher.

Also it is interesting that you can even get an SSD daughter card directly from Apple and begin unsoldering NANDs off it, and still have it work. But as far as I know, you need to key in the Studio serial number into the shop, and if your Studio is the base which only has one card, the shop only let's you order a replacement "card 00". So how does anyone get a spare "card 01" officially?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.