Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterpikey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
whats up all,
im looking at upgrading my g5's (dual 1.8 ) memory. Im wanting just some general advice, so can u all tell me what memory you've all used in your g5's, which brands worked fine, which brands were glitchy and caused crashes and stuff, u know those sort of things.

was thinking about getting crucial balistix or maybe ocx (gold or platinum) memory, any out there used these at all, and if so to what success?

and one last thing, ddr is a industry standard, so even if ddr memory is branded as being for pcs, it should also be compatable in a mac right???? (that is if the speed and number of pins and stuff is matched correctly)

thanks for your time, your help will be much appreciated

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Try Crucials Crucial Memory Advisor™ Tool http://www.crucial.com/

"and one last thing, ddr is a industry standard, so even if ddr memory is branded as being for pcs, it should also be compatable in a mac right???? (that is if the speed and number of pins and stuff is matched correctly)"

Yep, I've been told that Macs are quite picky when it comes to ram. If I were you I would go with Crucial.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Crucial is one of the most recommended companies to buy RAM from. They'll replace it if it causes problems.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
masterpikey said:
whats up all,
im looking at upgrading my g5's (dual 1.8 ) memory.
was thinking about getting crucial balistix or maybe ocx (gold or platinum) memory, any out there used these at all, and if so to what success?
There is absolutely no point in installing faster than standard memory in the G5 because the machine will simply run it at PC3200 speed anyway. You'd just be wasting money.
and one last thing, ddr is a industry standard, so even if ddr memory is branded as being for pcs, it should also be compatable in a mac right???? (that is if the speed and number of pins and stuff is matched correctly)
No, that is not true. There are many more specifications that have to be matched than just "DDR PC3200 and the number of pins". In particular, if the Serial Presence Detect programming onboard the module is not done to Apple's standard (actually, strictly complying to the JEDEC standard) then it can fail in Macs. MANY lower cost PC memory makers don't bother to comply because most PCs are tolerant of non-compliant memory, and it's cheaper not to.

Your best bet is to buy from a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Around MR you'll find people who favor Crucial, and for buyers in the USA, OWC (Macsales.com) and Data Memory Systems

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I have ordered RAM from both Crucial (for my G5) and from Data Memory Systems (for my iBook G4) and I have been pleased by both companies and their products. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.