Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

porkkala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2015
Hey guys,

I need an advice. I have an old Apple iMac 3.06GHz 3.06 GHz 21.5" MC413LL/A Desktop (bought in late 2010). It's still running pretty smoothly, but it's not powerful enough to use any of the latest graphic programs (for example, I can't use DaVinci Resolve at all and Adobe Premier is running pretty slow). Judging by your experience, do you think it would make sense to just try and upgrade my iMac or would it be easier (and less expensive maybe) to buy a new one?

This question might sound stupid, but I honestly have no idea how to upgrade stuff like this. And if it's even possible to get parts for this model anymore. Thanks in advance for your help!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hey guys,

I need an advice. I have an old Apple iMac 3.06GHz 3.06 GHz 21.5" MC413LL/A Desktop (bought in late 2010). It's still running pretty smoothly, but it's not powerful enough to use any of the latest graphic programs (for example, I can't use DaVinci Resolve at all and Adobe Premier is running pretty slow). Judging by your experience, do you think it would make sense to just try and upgrade my iMac or would it be easier (and less expensive maybe) to buy a new one?

This question might sound stupid, but I honestly have no idea how to upgrade stuff like this. And if it's even possible to get parts for this model anymore. Thanks in advance for your help!
The only thing you can upgrade is RAM and hard drive, and neither of these upgrades will improve graphical performance.

Your only option is to get a new iMac with a decent GPU. I suggest the stock high end 5K iMac for this.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

porkkala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2015
The only thing you can upgrade is RAM and hard drive, and neither of these upgrades will improve graphical performance.

Your only option is to get a new iMac with a decent GPU. I suggest the stock high end 5K iMac for this.

Thanks a bunch!! I thought it might be the case.

porkkala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2015
p.s. Judging by your experience, does Retina display make a difference?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.