Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CanuckGold_2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
I just ordered a stock 12" combo drive PB and was wondering if replacing the 4200rpm drive with a 7200rpm drive voided Apple Care. Some threads say yes, others say, no, if an Apple certified tech replaces it. Others say it's fine to replace it but if you need to send in the PB, switch the drives back....Some say there's no effect on battery life, some say it's better/worse...What's the verdict? :confused:
Thanks.

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
From what I have looked into so far...

If you do the installation yourself, that will void the Applecare.
But some have mentioned that as long as you place the original HDD back in the unit before sending it out to Apple for repair, it will be okay.

If an Apple certified techinician does this, it will not void Applecare.

In the end, I decided to keep my stock HDD for a while and consider whether it would be safe to do it myself (I have obtained a copy of Apple's official techinician manual and found other sites with info needed to do almost anything to my powerbook). When I upgrade to the next PB (which I am sure I will buy as soon as it is out and shows significant improvement, even though I just bought my PB 2 weeks ago) I might upgrade the HDD and give it to my wife.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Beware though. Even if you have a certified tech install it, Apple might balk at covering a repair if you have a drive installed that wasn't a BTO option (i.e. the 7200 RPM drive instead of a 5400 RPM drive). This is mostly because they probably didn't test that particular configuration to make it doesn't cause any problems. (That's also most of the reason why Panther requires built-in USB)

AIen

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2004
Counterfit said:
Beware though. Even if you have a certified tech install it, Apple might balk at covering a repair if you have a drive installed that wasn't a BTO option (i.e. the 7200 RPM drive instead of a 5400 RPM drive). This is mostly because they probably didn't test that particular configuration to make it doesn't cause any problems. (That's also most of the reason why Panther requires built-in USB)

could i still upgrade my 5400 to 7200 by sending my pbook in to apple?

CanuckGold_2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
Ok, I rang up the Apple Store and they flat out said "We will not install the hard drive for you." Can one get someone at Best Buy or CompUSA to do it? Has anyone replaced their HD and still used Apple Care? Thanks.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
OK. here is what I have found out when considering doing the same.

If you do it yourself the warranties are void. If you have an Apple Cert Tech do it it is not voided. If an Apple Cert Tech does it and you send it to Apple directly, then you have to have the original drive in it. If you take it to the Apple Cert Tech that did the upgrade, they will get Apple to cover the warranty for everything but the HDD (at least with the Apple Cert Tech that I checked with).

Now, about 7200rpm HDD in the 12" PB. Barefeats shows that the the difference between 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm HDD is minimal. And with teh comments made by OWC, I would be concerned about the heat issue with the 7200 rpm drives in a 12" PB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.