Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StephN999

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2020
Cergy, France
Bonjour,

By doing some research on the compatibility of ivy Bridge hardware level, I saw that these processor in socket 1155 was compatible with the iMac 2011 (Chipset Z68), I try to find an i7-3770 or an i7-3770S not too expensive because seen this I understood that should be no problem to make them work on the machine, I still have a detail, my Xeon E3-1260 is with the intel 206A7 microde, I need to find a match with these Ivy Bridge, the challenge pleases me a lot , I invite you to visit this topic which talks about adding microcode.

Bonne journée. ;)

Reactions: SamuraiLegion

josgar082

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2020
Hi. Let's keep this topic going, adding experiences that can guide us in what all iMac 2011 users want to achieve. I already did the test, I have an iMac 2011 27" i7 2600 3.4ghz with a TDP of 95w, I changed it for an i7 3770 3.4ghz with a TDP of 77w, as you know, technically it should work, but the result is the same as I have read already happened to many other users who have tried like me. Nothing, the screen remains black after turning it on, after several seconds the fans increase to maximum power and on the board you can see how the third led indicating GPU failures does not turn on. I turned it on and off several times, checked that nothing was loose or out of place, I put so much thermal paste that I exhausted it by removing and putting the CPU as the GPU and nothing, nothing happens. I don't know what it is, is it that the GPU is not compatible? will we have to update the EFI/BIOS to support Ivy Bridge? or did Apple incorporate some kind of blocking? I have read that Hackerwayne has done it, but no offense, I don't know, until I see it I don't believe it, as far as I'm concerned it's just a rumor. If anyone knows the answer, we will all be immensely grateful, I am about to change the GPU for a 3GB GTX 770M, taking advantage of the fact that I will open my team again, try again, experiment and see what happens and I will be telling you the result.

DeletteUA

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2020
Hello,
Did you try reset NVRAM and PRAM?
Do you have the latest firmware for this iMac and the latest OS?
Did you try to boot from internet recovery?
you can also try to remove AppleHWsensor.kext and try again.
Also, you should enable Allow Apple Remote Desktop with the old cpu and replace it with the new one and check if it available from another computer
Do not forgive to backup your data

MichaelDT

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Hi. Let's keep this topic going, adding experiences that can guide us in what all iMac 2011 users want to achieve. I already did the test, I have an iMac 2011 27" i7 2600 3.4ghz with a TDP of 95w, I changed it for an i7 3770 3.4ghz with a TDP of 77w, as you know, technically it should work, but the result is the same as I have read already happened to many other users who have tried like me. Nothing, the screen remains black after turning it on, after several seconds the fans increase to maximum power and on the board you can see how the third led indicating GPU failures does not turn on. I turned it on and off several times, checked that nothing was loose or out of place, I put so much thermal paste that I exhausted it by removing and putting the CPU as the GPU and nothing, nothing happens. I don't know what it is, is it that the GPU is not compatible? will we have to update the EFI/BIOS to support Ivy Bridge? or did Apple incorporate some kind of blocking? I have read that Hackerwayne has done it, but no offense, I don't know, until I see it I don't believe it, as far as I'm concerned it's just a rumor. If anyone knows the answer, we will all be immensely grateful, I am about to change the GPU for a 3GB GTX 770M, taking advantage of the fact that I will open my team again, try again, experiment and see what happens and I will be telling you the result.
This would absolutely require an EFI hack. Dosdude has a tool to extract the payload I think. But without the proper toolset and reference material it’s all a shot in the dark, likely to brick a few boards.

StephN999

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2020
Cergy, France
Bonjour,

hello, I invite you again on this topic for the modification of the rom.

"Apple Microcode Tool" from dosdude1 does not allow you to correctly modify the rom of iMac 2011, but is used at least to verify that the modification by hand it went well.

theoretically it should work (at least on the hardware level it is perfectly compatible), but it is perhaps more complex than with PC bios who knows...

Matty68

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
Bonjour,

hello, I invite you again on this topic for the modification of the rom.

"Apple Microcode Tool" from dosdude1 does not allow you to correctly modify the rom of iMac 2011, but is used at least to verify that the modification by hand it went well.

theoretically it should work (at least on the hardware level it is perfectly compatible), but it is perhaps more complex than with PC bios who knows...
So you have been successful with your upgrade to the i7 3770?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.