upgrading to Panther from jaguar

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by triotary, Mar 22, 2005.

1. macrumors regular

me computer is QS733 with OS 10.2.8

so me thinking of upgrading to Panther.

will it works if me use the original installation DVDs that came from me friend's G5?

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nah sorry. First of all, unless your friend uninstalls Panther then it would be illegal. Secondly, each DVD/CD for the OS that comes with a new computer is specifically designed for that computer. That is, it leaves out and adds in bits. Sorry. :(

3. macrumors G3

Will it work? Unknown.
    Is it legal? No! The software that ships as part of a computer is licensed only for that computer. The license is not transferable.

4. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

it will work enough for you to think it's OK at first, but the flakiness caused by installing a G5-specific code set on a G4 will make it almost unusable for extended periods, and some stuff just won't work.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

okok cool~

so if I buy myself a licencsed copy of panther, it will definitely work fine on my QS733, but can I use it again to upgrade my girlfriend's QS867?

6. thread starter macrumors regular

btw~ I saw those emac's 3 cds panther installation disks selling on ebay~ are they usable and safe?

7. Moderator emeritus

It's safe to install on an eMac.

8. macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Just wait for Tiger at this point...

If you buy the single user copy of Panther it's ment for one computer and one only... But it will work on more then one (sussh though, it's not legal).

9. thread starter macrumors regular

I heard the progression from OS10.3 to OS10.4 is not as significant than OS10.2 to OS10.3. well, that is based on press releases and speculations and such.

10. macrumors 68020

Thats odd, considering OSX 10.4 has been called the biggest Apple upgrade ever...

Its like they made a new filing system and new resources... an entirely new OS...

10.0 -> 10.1 < 10.1 -> 10.2

10.2 -> 10.3 < 10.3 -> 10.4