Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
UK
I bought my MacBook with a 60GB hard disk, which is starting to get a little restricting when I start pulling multiple VM snapshots off my desktop's RAID array. So I'm thinking of sticking in a large disk, what with how cheap they are these days.

I've got no problems with the hardware side of things, what I need is a guide of how to image the current hard disk to an external hard disk so that I can then image it back on to the new disk once it's inserted. The steps I'm expecting are;

1.) image current internal disk to external disk
2.) remove current internal disk
3.) insert new internal disk
4.) image from external disk to new internal disk

I have SuperDuper & obviously Disk Utility. I just want to make sure that there is a way to image everything across before I buy the new disk.

(Before anybody asks, no I do not want to take the opportunity to do a clean install, I have far too much that would be lost & would need doing all over again).

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Use SuperDuper to clone the internal to the external. Install internal, boot from external, clone back to new internal.

Faster method would be to get an enclosure with the new drive, Install new drive into enclosure, clone internal to new external, swap the drives and boot from new internal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.