Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vikinguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
So I got my UPS tracking this morning. There is an option for pre-sign for delivery. I live in an apartment complex. Normally, if UPS knocks and I'm not home they deliver packages to the apartment office. If I presign will they just leave it at my door?

Also, I'm going to try to have a friend hang at my house after I go to work if the phone isn't in my hands by that time. They can sign for the package if they're in my house, correct?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
So I got my UPS tracking this morning. There is an option for pre-sign for delivery. I live in an apartment complex. Normally, if UPS knocks and I'm not home they deliver packages to the apartment office. If I presign will they just leave it at my door?

Also, I'm going to try to have a friend hang at my house after I go to work if the phone isn't in my hands by that time. They can sign for the package if they're in my house, correct?

UPS doesn't check ID or anything if that's what you're getting at.

Tell your friend to answer the door, say hello, sign the dinglehopper, and say "Thanks, have a nice day, and hang in there."

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
On the pre sign form you can specify the other location you would like it to be delivered. It says neighbor or buiding manager as an option.

stivan

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
quick question for those that have ordered - preordered before: does the package come with the invoice or just the item?

Please let me know.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Def going to do the pre-sign option since I'll be at work and don't have to have the wife sit around the house all day waiting.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I printed out the pre-sign notification and will tape it to my door tomorrow morning :)

itsmefudge

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Middle of the Pacific
I'll do the pre sign form too. In the event someone in the house doesn't hear the truck-gate between garage and front door. Hope they just leave it where I post the sign. Maybe I'll take a half day off and just wait for it myself :)

Paul S

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Be careful with the presigning. Chance of theft increases as people know the little boxes being left by UPS/FedEx are pretty valuable. I live in a good neighborhood, but still opted to pick mine up at UPS instead.

Apollonian

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
quick question for those that have ordered - preordered before: does the package come with the invoice or just the item?

Please let me know.

If I remember correctly it has a packing slip at least, I can't remember if it includes the full invoice maybe someone else can chime in.

----------

Be careful with the presigning. Chance of theft increases as people know the little boxes being left by UPS/FedEx are pretty valuable. I live in a good neighborhood, but still opted to pick mine up at UPS instead.

Agreed, don't let these sit outside too long because with the pre-sign form you are liable for theft, not UPS!

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007

... and then in preferences you can set the delivery to be released. I did that with my free account.

davefromca

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
Santa Barbara
If you have UPS and are not far from the HUB, people have reported success having them hold it for will call. If I had UPS (wish I did) I would choose this option, because you can get your package in the morning when its convenient for you. As was mentioned, careful, people are going to be looking to steal iponhes. If I was a criminal I would just tail that truck all day and wait for one of those little boxes to be left. :cool:

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Thieves love when you pre-sign! Oooh look someone left a perfectly good iPhone 6 just sitting here out in the open..

steemax

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
SoCal
I'm actually thinking of putting up the pre-signed paper as well... altough do you guys think I can put instructions for the delivery man to leave it behind my gate? Or are they usually not allowed to?

That way it's not out in the open on the front porch.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I'm actually thinking of putting up the pre-signed paper as well... altough do you guys think I can put instructions for the delivery man to leave it behind my gate? Or are they usually not allowed to?

That way it's not out in the open on the front porch.

Yes , you can leave special instructions on the form.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I thought about pre-signing... Then I thought, "nah, don't want to risk it... I'll just take a 3 day weekend instead"

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I thought about pre-signing... Then I thought, "nah, don't want to risk it... I'll just take a 3 day weekend instead"

Real Apple fans always reserve a vacation day for Sept. iPhone launch :)

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I didn't think a signature was required. I know I didn't sign last year and it got left at my door.

Formula1freak

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008
Carmel, Indiana
I was thinking about doing the pre-sign form, but then i remember that a few years ago I did all my christmas shopping on amazon, and all my packages were stolen a few days prior to christmas, and I don't even live in a bad area, :( ... so I'm choosing not to, my question is, if nobody is there tomorrow to pick it up, can I just go to the UPS center and pick it up? Or do i have to call them and let them know? I'm not sure what to do.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I was thinking about doing the pre-sign form, but then i remember that a few years ago I did all my christmas shopping on amazon, and all my packages were stolen a few days prior to christmas, and I don't even live in a bad area, :( ... so I'm choosing not to, my question is, if nobody is there tomorrow to pick it up, can I just go to the UPS center and pick it up? Or do i have to call them and let them know? I'm not sure what to do.

You don't need to call them unless you're planning to pick it up the next day, then you need to let them know so they don't load it back on the truck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.