Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Originally posted by Tha_Sylent1
Well nothing too specific I was just wondering what was possible or what you guys use the terminal for? Why would one need it?

You can get into Darwin with it.
You can pretend to be a die hard programmer by using it to launch apps...

I avoid as often as possible.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by Wardofsky
You can get into Darwin with it.
You can pretend to be a die hard programmer by using it to launch apps...

I avoid as often as possible.
personnaly i use it only for the intranet connections to big linux servers.
Infact i don t use it with os x , but around my worksapce are some machines, all running shall only :) so i better know what to do. right?

madleech

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2003
New Zealand
Well, here's my uptime. It's from my approx 2 month old iBook which has only ever been turned off for more than 10 mins once, and that was only to install more ram (extra 512mb! mmm). Sleep mode rules!

I love this machine... I take it everywhere!

Someone mentioned the Finder slowing down after a few days. What I do is just logout every few days, and that frees all the paged data and fixes a few other time-related issues I have.

Attachments

• uptime.png
    uptime.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 212

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM
Originally posted by Santiago
From my server, which I never reboot. (My PowerBook only has an uptime of about 14 days right now.)

I've restarted my PowerBook twice in the last 8 months (software updates). What is that silver button on the upper righthand corner do?:D

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Can't remember leaving the iMac on for this long.

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 212

mcl

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
My 1GHz TiBook's currently:

[dhcp-108:~] mcl% uptime
9:18AM up 17 days, 9:40, 3 users, load averages: 0.15, 0.24, 0.24

...of course, my main home mail/shell server (FreeBSD) is:

(5) skritch@tethys [Fri 30May2003 9:19am] /home/skritch >uptime
9:19AM up 89 days, 18:33, 8 users, load averages: 0.42, 0.39, 0.28

...my home file server (backups, MP3s, etc.) (FreeBSD) is:

$ uptime
9:22AM up 161 days, 17:20, 2 users, load averages: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00

...a random machine I'm responsible for at work (desktop, Solaris) is:

$ uptime
9:21am up 457 day(s), 20 hr(s), 3 users, load average: 0.04, 0.01, 0.02

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by celaurie
Hrm.. Why doth it say 'two' users?
your terminal session registers as another instance of yourself logging in. try opening 3 terminal windows and doing uptime in one. it will say "4 users."

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
My power jack on my ibook doesn't always function properly and my battery dies at 30%, sometimes without at least putting my machine to sleep so I can at least plug it in. Anyway, here's my reduced uptime.

EDIT: It's near the bottom of the page.

Attachments

• picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 212

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Originally posted by Shadowfax
your terminal session registers as another instance of yourself logging in. try opening 3 terminal windows and doing uptime in one. it will say "4 users."

Ah, kewlies! Thanks for answer! :)

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Originally posted by Kyle?
My power jack on my ibook doesn't always function properly and my battery dies at 30%, sometimes without at least putting my machine to sleep so I can at least plug it in. Anyway, here's my reduced uptime.

Now there's a thing! Why does the screen capture function make pdfs as opposed to picts these days? And can this be changed?

Oh, and I do know you can use Grab to make tiffs...

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Good question! As you can see, I had to export it to jpg with preview so it would display properly.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by celaurie
Now there's a thing! Why does the screen capture function make pdfs as opposed to picts these days? And can this be changed?
Because PDF, now the standard file format, and Preview, now the standard viewer, are more general than the PICT files and SimpleText used in the good ol' days. In Preview, you can use the Export... menu choice to save your screenshot in one of a dozen formats, so you can have a PICT (or a Photoshop file or a jpeg) with a few extra clicks.

I don't think you can change the format used for screen captures. I did a little experimenting to try to find out: If you type screencapture and press RETURN in the Terminal window, you can see the options of the command-line method for doing screen captures. It lets you name the output file anything you like, but it seems to be a PDF file no matter what you pick. For example, the command screencapture peekaboo.jpg produces a file named peekaboo.jpg but it's actual still a PDF file, as the file command reveals:

doctorq% screencapture peekaboo.jpg
doctorq% file peekaboo.jpg
peekaboo.jpg: PDF document, version 1.3

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Sorry to prolong the offtopicness, but Doctor Q., pdf isn't really that standard when your desktop won't accept pdf's for the background. (I found this out while trying to play the 'frozen desktop prank on my mom, had to use the export the function to get it to work)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Kyle?
Sorry to prolong the offtopicness, but Doctor Q., pdf isn't really that standard when your desktop won't accept pdf's for the background. (I found this out while trying to play the 'frozen desktop prank on my mom, had to use the export the function to get it to work)
First of all, that's a great prank. I used it once on April Fool's Day. But I have no trouble using a PDF as a desktop background, as long as the PDF is an image. The Desktop pane in System Preferences lets you select the Collection, and if that Collection is a folder where your screen capture file resides (for example, the desktop folder), you should be able to pick that file as your desktop.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Yeah, I know how to do all that. The pdf's just wouldn't show up in the collection list.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I realized after I posted that it might behave differently for me than for you because I have QuickTime Pro installed. That makes extra conversions available system-wide, invisibly. Maybe "Desktop" offers files that it can extract images from, and QuickTime Pro lets images be extracted from PDFs on my system. Can somebody else confirm this?

In any case, the solution is obvious: whenever you make a screen capture, we'll put it on my desktop instead of yours! ;)

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Ahhh. Makes sense.

It doesn't bother me, though. I don't have to worry about your average prankster, only those who would be able to figure out the problem.:)

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Because PDF, now the standard file format, and Preview, now the standard viewer, are more general than the PICT files and SimpleText used in the good ol' days. In Preview, you can use the Export... menu choice to save your screenshot in one of a dozen formats, so you can have a PICT (or a Photoshop file or a jpeg) with a few extra clicks.

I don't think you can change the format used for screen captures. I did a little experimenting to try to find out: If you type screencapture and press RETURN in the Terminal window, you can see the options of the command-line method for doing screen captures. It lets you name the output file anything you like, but it seems to be a PDF file no matter what you pick. For example, the command screencapture peekaboo.jpg produces a file named peekaboo.jpg but it's actual still a PDF file, as the file command reveals:

doctorq% screencapture peekaboo.jpg
doctorq% file peekaboo.jpg
peekaboo.jpg: PDF document, version 1.3

Thamnks for clearing that up for me. :)

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
great. anybody got some more :D

all my servers have gotten restarted, due to a powerfailure... :( will take some time to get those noice uptimes back :(

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Originally posted by maradong
great. anybody got some more :D

all my servers have gotten restarted, due to a powerfailure... :( will take some time to get those noice uptimes back :(

welwelwell, check out

sysctl

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I had an idea for another lame joke (one of my specialities). I would look up the day that OS X was first released, then doctor a screenshot to show my uptime as being the elapsed time since then. But (1) I'm lazy and (2) I don't want to encourage cheating. So please pretend I did so and laugh anyway. Thank you. :D

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I had an idea for another lame joke (one of my specialities). I would look up the day that OS X was first released, then doctor a screenshot to show my uptime as being the elapsed time since then. But (1) I'm lazy and (2) I don't want to encourage cheating. So please pretend I did so and laugh anyway. Thank you. :D
lol, i have seen people put up uptimes that are greater than the time that OS X has been in existence. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.