Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinosvalle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
Hi there,

I got the opportunity of a i9, 24gb ram, 580x and 512gb ssd, 2019 iMac. 2500€. It’s second hand but is as new.
I‘m going to use it as my main and only workstation. Not for gaming, just audio production through logic pro x, so I need it not being loud (fan).

I would apreciatte giving some advice about this. Will I regret buying this iMac? Is it loud enough to spoil a mic recording session next to it?
I’ve just finished an Ableton work that had 40 tracks with some virtual instruments, and mixed stuff. My 2011 i7 couldn’t handle it properly.

Does it get too hot and noisy?

I have to give an answer to the seller this evening.

Thannk you.

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
I'm also looking at a similar build...from what I've read on hear you should be fine.

Aquarium2now

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
USA
Fan noise shouldn't be an issue, but the 512gb SSD may be. . If you purchase this machine, consider purchasing several standalone high-capacity SSDs: at least one for backup, and another devoted to project storage.

pinosvalle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
Thanks for the answers.

I’ve purchased it finally. 512 gb SSD capacity is not a problem for me. I got dropbox (2tb) and iCloud for everything, and I will connect an external 1tb samsung ssd drive for audio projects and audio libraries.

Reactions: Aquarium2now

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
To paraphrase Will Rogers, "I only know what I read here on MacRumors", but...

... the reports I've read from others indicate that the i9 iMacs are more likely to generate noise from the fans.

Just sayin'...

pinosvalle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
Well, I hope less than 35 dB fan noise at the sweet spot (mic placement). Around 2000rpm maximum for this, probably.

pinosvalle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
Well, iMac 27 inches 5K, 24GB RAM, 512GB ssd and 580x graphics already at home.

Things to consider within 2 days of use:

- Idle: 1200rpm, almost no noise at all. I've noticed fan noise only when I'm under 30db ambient noise. And it's yet a very low noise. For me, nothing that could bother me. With normal use at daytime, I can't hear the fan when idle.

- There's been a moment that the fan went to 1900rpm and up: when I installed dropbox and it began to synchronize 200GB files. At the same time I was downloading all the Ableton packs to an external ssd drive. The fan went to 1900rpm and up for about 3-4 minutes. Then it went down to 1200rpm and continued synchronizing files and downloading Ableton packs with no fan noise at all.

- I loaded an Ableton project with 45 tracks, multiple Virtual instruments, effects and video track. I have to say that I was unable to even open this project in my old PC (i7 2nd gen, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16gb ram ddr3, and ssd harddrives). It opened up with no problem and I played it seamlessly. In the same project I recorded a two acoustic guitar tracks with two mics, some native effects, etc. 128 samples buffer. No problem, no fan noise.

- I've purchased Logic right now and I'll make more performance tests.

I'm very very happy by now

P.D: when fan reached 1900rpm and up and it was noisy, it was no unpleasant thing for me. I consider it normal. Also I tried to place some foam under iMac monitor and noise decreased considerably. I did it as a test for people concerned about this.

robes1

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
I think the i9 is really great for DAW and audio stuff. I was thinking of getting the same configuration, but I think I'm gonna hold off because of the ARM announcement. I like to keep my computers for a long time, and I have a feeling the Intel ones might run into issues with certain audio plugins in a few years. Who knows.

Reactions: DQ11

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
Well, iMac 27 inches 5K, 24GB RAM, 512GB ssd and 580x graphics already at home.

Things to consider within 2 days of use:

- Idle: 1200rpm, almost no noise at all. I've noticed fan noise only when I'm under 30db ambient noise. And it's yet a very low noise. For me, nothing that could bother me. With normal use at daytime, I can't hear the fan when idle.

- There's been a moment that the fan went to 1900rpm and up: when I installed dropbox and it began to synchronize 200GB files. At the same time I was downloading all the Ableton packs to an external ssd drive. The fan went to 1900rpm and up for about 3-4 minutes. Then it went down to 1200rpm and continued synchronizing files and downloading Ableton packs with no fan noise at all.

- I loaded an Ableton project with 45 tracks, multiple Virtual instruments, effects and video track. I have to say that I was unable to even open this project in my old PC (i7 2nd gen, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16gb ram ddr3, and ssd harddrives). It opened up with no problem and I played it seamlessly. In the same project I recorded a two acoustic guitar tracks with two mics, some native effects, etc. 128 samples buffer. No problem, no fan noise.

- I've purchased Logic right now and I'll make more performance tests.

I'm very very happy by now

P.D: when fan reached 1900rpm and up and it was noisy, it was no unpleasant thing for me. I consider it normal. Also I tried to place some foam under iMac monitor and noise decreased considerably. I did it as a test for people concerned about this.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear, and is good enough for me. I've read similar things from other users who say the same stuff about the 2019 imac and how it is more than capable of doing the job and the fans are a bit better.

** I'm THIS close to making this purchase....probably next month in July.

* How long does it take from order until you actually got it, and did you go to an apple store or have it delivered right to your house?

* I will be using Logic, so definitely let us know how that goes with this set up.

What brand RAM did you go with for the additional RAM?

Reactions: Aquarium2now

pinosvalle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
This is exactly what I was hoping to hear, and is good enough for me. I've read similar things from other users who say the same stuff about the 2019 imac and how it is more than capable of doing the job and the fans are a bit better.

** I'm THIS close to making this purchase....probably next month in July.

* How long does it take from order until you actually got it, and did you go to an apple store or have it delivered right to your house?

* I will be using Logic, so definitely let us know how that goes with this set up.

What brand RAM did you go with for the additional RAM?

I,ve bought it second hand. It still has 9 apple warranty months.

I don’t know ram new brand as the original owner upgraded it.

By the way: logic pro x is awesome...

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
I also have same config but with 1 TB SSD and work in Logic is flawless and also no fan noise, until you start pushing it in games or CPU demanding tasks

Reactions: DQ11

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
I also have same config but with 1 TB SSD and work in Logic is flawless and also no fan noise, until you start pushing it in games or CPU demanding tasks

Good to hear. I will be buying the 1TB version as well.

How many tracks can you get going with plug-ins before it slows down?

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
Good to hear. I will be buying the 1TB version as well.

How many tracks can you get going with plug-ins before it slows down?

I can't tell you really because it didn't slow me down. I don't use much plugins though. For example I have project with 14 Apple AUs + Apple Producer Drum Kit + 2 tracks with BIAS FX2 and no slowing down what so ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.