Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Please note.. I hope you're backing up to another source. A backup to your current hard drive is NOT a backup at all.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
lexus said:
Of course but super duper is not letting me what settings do I need.

Well... in the "copy" drop down select your hard drive, in the "to" drop down select the destination hd, and in the "using" drop down select "Backup - All Files".

Then click "Copy Now".

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
Olde Englande
If you just want to make a Disk Image (.dmg file) then Apple's Disk Utility will do it for you. Mount the disks you want to copy from and to, then (either) click the New Image toolbar button (or go to File>New>Image From...) and select the disk to be copied.

If you want to make a bootable clone then either use SuperDuper! (shareware, but will do a clone in demo mode too) or CarbonCopyCloner, which is donationware and will do the job just fine.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
I keep getting this error.

Lacie is formatted as Windows_FAT_32, which cannot properly host HFS+ files along with all their attributes, resources and ownership.

To use Lacie with SuperDuper!, use Disk Utility to erase it, selecting "Mac OS Extended" or "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
The source and destination drive must be using the same format. The pb hdd is formatted HFS+, so your external must also be HFS+; FAT32 will NOT work.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
You cannot convert it, you have to erase it and reformat it HFS+.

Use Disk Utility to do that. (Mac OS Extended (Journaled))

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
lexus said:
An 80 gb disk image to .mac????

I would just up my HOME folder with all my personal stuff

Your .Mac account offers Backup 3

http://www.apple.com/dotmac/backup.html

AFAIK it currently offers 1 GB of Back-up for prefs, address books and other personal
stuff.

I burn everything irreplaceable to CD or DVD, then I'm covered.

My HOME folder is currently a total of 12.95 GB, but I've got all of it saved to CD's

This is my personal back up strategy.

If I were to lose my primary drive, this insures that I can restore my system
a quickly as possible.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/2321652/

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
lexus said:
Ok I just did made a boot disk now how do I boot from it?
Go to System Preferences/Startup Disk and select your new disk, the allow it to restart when asked. Or start the computer and press Option when you hear the chime, the select the boot disk from the menu it gives you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.