Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
I am having a huge problem with FCP for whatever reason whenever i try to close a gap in a video track i get the message "Operation not allowed" this has never happened to me before and i am facing a deadline
i am using FCP 5.0(don't hastle me about not upgrading to 5.1)

Any help welcome

Chris

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Ok, my guess is you are recieving this message because of other items on other video tracks. the best bet is to grab every thing you need to move (highlight it) and just drag. I have done this before to get past this message. Otherwise try looking in the manual in Vol. II Pgs. 199, 338, 359 & 355. Thats all I can say. Sorry.

Hope it helps,
John Christensen

P.S. Are you running this on your iMac C2D? FCP 5.0 is for PPC Macs only. To run FCP on the iMac C2D you need 5.1 !?!?

Have a Great Night.

theWholeTruth

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Need more info.

Do you have audio attached to the video? Is your video track locked (slash marks across video track in timeline)? Do you have video on other layers?

You can try using the razor blade tool to mark the part of the clip that you want to get rid of, then select the clip, then delete it using the delete key. then use control-G to close the gap.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
He Promised to send in his DVDs for the 5.1 upgrrade Monday then blew it off.

Ok, my guess is you are recieving this message because of other items on other video tracks. the best bet is to grab every thing you need to move (highlight it) and just drag. I have done this before to get past this message. Otherwise try looking in the manual in Vol. II Pgs. 199, 338, 359 & 355. Thats all I can say. Sorry.

Hope it helps,
John Christensen

P.S. Are you running this on your iMac C2D? FCP 5.0 is for PPC Macs only. To run FCP on the iMac C2D you need 5.1 !?!?

Have a Great Night.
I tried to tell him he needed 5.1UB to run on Intel Macs and he promised to send in the DVDs Monday. Then he blew it off. That was a $1300 mistake Chriscorbin. I can't hassle him cause the deadline is over. :eek: :rolleyes:

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
The video layer is not locked, I DO have audio attached to the video, and i could not get a hold of the person with my install DVDs

mabye this screen shot will help

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 435

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Call The Rebate Center Tomorrow. Number's On The Form

i could not get a hold of the person with my install DVDs.
Bummer. A toll free call to the rebate center might have gotten you an extension. I would still make one call and beg to be sure you're out of luck. They might have pity on your situation.

Trying to run 5.0 on that C2D Mac is completely off the reservation.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
Bummer. A toll free call to the rebate center might have gotten you an extension. I would still make one call and beg to be sure you're out of luck. They might have pity on your situation.

Trying to run 5.0 on that C2D Mac is completely off the reservation.

JUST SHUT UP ABOUT IT WILL YOU
you mention every time i post a new thread just get over it

i am not going to use finalcut PRO after monday EVER AGAIN i am buying a new computer with FCE pre-installed and selling the comp i have now unfortunately my deadline is friday

posting about the update will not help the current perdicment in any way

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
chriscorbin,
Did you get that error message trying to use the "close gap" feature and/or trying to just select everything and drag it down by hand? Knowing exactly what you are doing to generate that error will help us know what to suggest and what not to suggest.

I tried to tell him he needed 5.1UB to run on Intel Macs and he promised to send in the DVDs Monday. Then he blew it off. That was a $1300 mistake Chriscorbin. I can't hassle him cause the deadline is over. :eek: :rolleyes:
You say that yet here you are w/two completely off topic posts. The horse isn't just dead it's gone and buried but you're still swingin' that stick around determined to beat something even it's just thin air.

Lethal

Mr B

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2006
Washington DC
In your screenshot, it appears you cannot close gap because there is no gap. True there is a space in the video, but there is audio running underneath it. If FCP were to close the video gap, how would it decide which audio to cut? I think FCP will only close the gap to the extent that there is a gap on all tracks. You need to cut out a chunk of your audio, either in that spot (razorblade tool and then just ripple delete) or on one of the ends and move it. Maybe it will let you close gaps even if audio is running underneath if the audio track is locked, can't remember. Or use 'select track forward' tool and manually grab so you don't have to mess with the audio and can just move vid track.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
Press "T" 4 times so that you get the double arrow pointing right...

click on DSC_0311.jpg

Press "A"

command-click the audio file to deselect it

drag the selected video clips to the left.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Any help welcome

This is under the "any help" category: You're better off not using mp3 audio in your timeline. Transcode it to AIFF (16 bit stereo 48KHz), then bring it into the timeline. The mp3 audio might play back fine for you inside FCP right now but once you output your sequence (to tape, DVD, QuickTime, etc.) you'll very likely experience strange sound problems.

theWholeTruth

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
The video layer is not locked, I DO have audio attached to the video, and i could not get a hold of the person with my install DVDs

mabye this screen shot will help

attachment.php

OK, either do what bigbossbmb described OR do this to close gaps in video.

1) Go to the end of the clip on the left, mark in. (if you see a frame of the pic in the Canvas window, go 1 frame forward and mark in)
2) Go to the beginning of the clip on the right, mark out. (if you see a frame of the pic in the Canvas window, go 1 frame backward and mark out)
3) Deselect those boxes next to the right of the lock icons on the audio in the Timeline window.
4) Hit Shift-Delete or whatever key is next to your plus/equal key on the keyboard. This closes the gap.

You can also do this if video were in the blank space. The process can be shorter but I didn't want to overwhelm you with key commands.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
In your screenshot, it appears you cannot close gap because there is no gap. True there is a space in the video, but there is audio running underneath it. If FCP were to close the video gap, how would it decide which audio to cut? I think FCP will only close the gap to the extent that there is a gap on all tracks. You need to cut out a chunk of your audio, either in that spot (razorblade tool and then just ripple delete) or on one of the ends and move it. Maybe it will let you close gaps even if audio is running underneath if the audio track is locked, can't remember. Or use 'select track forward' tool and manually grab so you don't have to mess with the audio and can just move vid track.
Thanks this one worked!!!

Elbradamontes

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2010
Holy keystrokes batman!

There are two simpler solutions.

1. Let's say you want to cut audio as well as video (yes I know the deadline's past but other people will have this problem) link the audio and video together so your cuts are done simultaneously. then the delete function will work.

2. Let's say you don't want to cut audio (like when doing music vids). Lock the audio tracks and then you can cut the video all you want. Delete works just fine as long as the audio tracks are locked.

If you've already cut the video and you want the audio cut with it I guess you could just move your cursor and razor blade away (snapping enabled). Cut out the audio then delete the blank spaces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.