Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xfarsightx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Hello All,

I have a Power Mac G5 (Late 2005 - regular cooling heatsink) and its not booting up. Apple Hardware Test gives the following error:

2FAN/4/8: CPU A INTAKE

This is our Main Server running DHCP, DNS, AFP and Netboot. so its really critically I have it up and running.

So far I have semi disassembled and air canned it. So no dust. All the fans are working however the fans next to the heatsink seems to run a bit slow then others.

I have unplugged all the extra hardware (RAID Card). Have reseated the memory and have tried different memories. Did the PRAM reset.

I am stumped. Any clue, advice or help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
It may just be that the sensor in the fan's not working right and so the hardware test is reporting a problem. Get iStat on it and see what fan speeds it reports. I don't know what the 'normal' fan speeds are on a G5 but someone else on here with a similar machine might be able to give you an idea.

xfarsightx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
[closed]

Thanks for the reply and apologize for my late reply.

So after many hours of trail and error I narrowed it down to power consumption issue. I had a set of RAID drives running which seemed to cause problems. I double check the RAID card with another computer and their was no problem so it lead me to believe that the power consumption by the 3 RAID drives was the culprit.

I don't want to plug in the RAID setup in it to be sure of the problem so I am leaving this one alone.

I had to reinstall the MAC OS X server and pulled out the whole RAID setup and so far it has been running good.

Didn't look further into this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.