URGENT: HD Space missing!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shorty116, Nov 21, 2006.

1. shorty116 macrumors member

I'm on a G5 (Dual 2Ghz) running 10.4.8. My HD Space is coming to an end. The HD should have 148 Gigs and i used "WhatSize" to find my largest files. WhatSize tells me that i have like 46 Gigs on disk and i'm pretty sure this is correct, WhatSize (as well as the finder) state also that 146 Gigs are used! sounds a little confusing, so here is a summary:

HD: 148 Gigs
    Finder says: 146 Gigs are used
    WhatSize finds files for: 46 Gigs (definetly correct)

So where are the missing 100 Gigabyte?
    What else could i check?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Have you used the Verify Disk option in Disk Utility to see if something has gone wrong?

3. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Get Omni Disk Sweeper. It will sort the hard drive out by listing largest files first. I had this same problem of disappearing space. A faulty file called "windowserverlast.log" or something was eating up all my space, in the "var" directory.

If you see a giant file several gigabytes big, it's fairly safe to delete it, especially if it's a log. When I say several gigabytes, I mean more than ten or so...be careful what you delete!

4. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

my freind gets that problem all the time with his memory stick! i just erase it and it works again. I agree with the omni disk sweeper program i had it ages ago and it worked on mine.

5. Deputy-Dawg macrumors member

Try booting into save mode

Before you do anything else that is either expensive, time consumeing, or dangerous your problem my be nothing more than a stuck .tmp file whis is normally invisible in any event. To remove the stuck file simply boot in to the safe mode,

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107393

Then reboot into normal mode and check your trash. You will likely see a folder named "Recovered files" or some such. It is save to delete this file and you will recover your disk space.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Open Terminal.app, type in (and be patient, you will have to wait for a very long time for it to finish):

sudo du -h -d1 /

Hit Rerturn and type in your admin password when prompted. Once it finishes, it will show you the size of all root directories. We'll go from there.