Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shorty116

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
I'm on a G5 (Dual 2Ghz) running 10.4.8. My HD Space is coming to an end. The HD should have 148 Gigs and i used "WhatSize" to find my largest files. WhatSize tells me that i have like 46 Gigs on disk and i'm pretty sure this is correct, WhatSize (as well as the finder) state also that 146 Gigs are used! sounds a little confusing, so here is a summary:

HD: 148 Gigs
Finder says: 146 Gigs are used
WhatSize finds files for: 46 Gigs (definetly correct)

So where are the missing 100 Gigabyte?
What else could i check?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Have you used the Verify Disk option in Disk Utility to see if something has gone wrong?

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Get Omni Disk Sweeper. It will sort the hard drive out by listing largest files first. I had this same problem of disappearing space. A faulty file called "windowserverlast.log" or something was eating up all my space, in the "var" directory.

If you see a giant file several gigabytes big, it's fairly safe to delete it, especially if it's a log. When I say several gigabytes, I mean more than ten or so...be careful what you delete!

R.R.Mac

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
Guildford, England
my freind gets that problem all the time with his memory stick! i just erase it and it works again. I agree with the omni disk sweeper program i had it ages ago and it worked on mine.

Deputy-Dawg

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
Try booting into save mode

Before you do anything else that is either expensive, time consumeing, or dangerous your problem my be nothing more than a stuck .tmp file whis is normally invisible in any event. To remove the stuck file simply boot in to the safe mode,

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107393

Then reboot into normal mode and check your trash. You will likely see a folder named "Recovered files" or some such. It is save to delete this file and you will recover your disk space.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
So where are the missing 100 Gigabyte?
What else could i check?

Open Terminal.app, type in (and be patient, you will have to wait for a very long time for it to finish):

sudo du -h -d1 /

Hit Rerturn and type in your admin password when prompted. Once it finishes, it will show you the size of all root directories. We'll go from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.