Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SavvyWilliams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Ok, so last night, I just about had a heart attack. My dog spilled a full glass of water on my Air and of course, the water went all under the keys and my computer shut off. I blow dried it, put it in rice etc. nothing worked, this afternoon IT WORKED!! Everything works, life=saved. BUT the internal speakers dont work! The headphones work, but not the outside speakers. Some of the threads on here say if theres a red light in the headphone jack, there is a switch stuck;but theres not. When I go to the system preferences>sound--there is no option to select internal speakers either! HELP I have a media project I have been working on for the production Bye Bye Birdie and I NEED my external speakers!! THANKS

mizzouxc

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Ok, so last night, I just about had a heart attack. My dog spilled a full glass of water on my Air and of course, the water went all under the keys and my computer shut off. I blow dried it, put it in rice etc. nothing worked, this afternoon IT WORKED!! Everything works, life=saved. BUT the internal speakers dont work! The headphones work, but not the outside speakers. Some of the threads on here say if theres a red light in the headphone jack, there is a switch stuck;but theres not. When I go to the system preferences>sound--there is no option to select internal speakers either! HELP I have a media project I have been working on for the production Bye Bye Birdie and I NEED my external speakers!! THANKS

Zap the Pram
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

SavvyWilliams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
The steps worked, but it didnt change anything, Ill probably have to take it to the genius var and have them take a look at it. Would Ibreakitufixit be better?

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
aaaaaannnnnnnndddd now the charging port thing doesnt work, a great week for me, ehh?
:mad::mad::mad:

Look, regarding the charging, unplug the power cord from both the PC and the wall outlet and leave the cord alone for 5 minutes. Then reconnect both ends.

you have to unplug from the wall or it wont work.

Regarding the speakers, who cares? The speakers were crap anyways. Great excuse to get headphones or decent external speakers.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
The geniuses will enlighten you as to the cost of a new logic board, about $750 at last telling. When you either replace that board or purchase a new MB you may wish to consider a $7.50 keyboard cover. I have covers on all three of mine, cheap insurance.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010

As a word of caution in the future, I would have let the machine sit for at least a week before trying to turn it on. You really need to make sure that all the moisture has evaporated or been absorbed before you should be putting power back through it. I inherited my sister's old macbook that had water spilled on it. After letting it sit around for a few weeks I tested it out and everything worked except for one of the shift keys.

I'd put it somewhere and leave it be for a while and see if anything comes back. Otherwise, you're probably looking at a new logic board as was suggested earlier.

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
...unplug the power cord from both the PC and the wall outlet and leave the cord alone for 5 minutes. Then reconnect both ends.

you have to unplug from the wall or it wont work.

I'm sorry, but I just have to ask - what's the logic behind this? Why would leaving a cord in the wall outlet change anything?

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Dude, too late I know, but spilling just plan old water on your macbook wasn't the end of the world.

That happened when you turned it on whilst it was still wet, that's where the potential for damaged happened. For others who might experience similar, if it's water, then it just needs to dry out.

If it's beer, tea with sugar etc, then the machine needs to be taken apart and cleaned so the logic board etc, doesn't corrode.

EDIT - and this is the voice of experience :) I've junked two laptops this way :/ first way, I split soda water on it, but had no time to fix it as I was catching a plane and leaving it for a month.

Second time, I spilt beer on a different laptop, but immediately stripped it apart, cleaned it etc. Had to replace the keyboard/alu case (as they're one unit), but several years later it's still working reasonably fine.

Oh and for external speaks - I'd recommend the Sound Science QSBs they're awesome!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.