Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abecker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Hello,

I recently installed 4GB of ram into my macbook and was wondering how much ram is supposed to be showing up in Activity Monitor.

I've heard reports that 3.3GB would be usable, however according to the activity monitor it shows a 3.0GB.

How do I get the 3.3GB instead of 3.0 usable like others have?

Andrew

System:
Macbook (Late 2006)
4GB Mushkin Ram
Mac OS X 10.4.9

okey-dokey

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
I'm planning to

I'm planning to install Vista Ultimate (64bit) on my macbook and i'm wondering will it show as 4.0GB of ram in Vista? Has anybody tried to do that?

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I'm planning to install Vista Ultimate (64bit) on my macbook and i'm wondering will it show as 4.0GB of ram in Vista? Has anybody tried to do that?

If you're speaking of a bootloaded vista via BootCamp, then you will have the same amount of RAM as your Mac. If it's a virtual machine (Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion), vista will have the amount that you allocate in the setup of you VM.

I'm not sure what vista will show. -GDF

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
Hello,

I recently installed 4GB of ram into my macbook and was wondering how much ram is supposed to be showing up in Activity Monitor.

I've heard reports that 3.3GB would be usable, however according to the activity monitor it shows a 3.0GB.

How do I get the 3.3GB instead of 3.0 usable like others have?

Andrew

System:
Macbook (Late 2006)
4GB Mushkin Ram
Mac OS X 10.4.9

If you read the Intel paper on your board, you will discover that it only supports 3.0 GB of RAM. I think so anyway, so don't quote me on that. Anyway you can't install Windows without Boot Camp and Leopard, which you don't have, unless you're willing to illegally(?) download the drivers. Don't quote me on that illegality issue either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.