Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BCre8tive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
I'm not sure if this belong in hardware or software, so if I picked the wrong place I apologize. I have a G4 running OS X Jaguar. I recently bought a USB 2.0 CD-rw and I was told that I would be able to download drivers that would update my USB 1.1 ports to 2.0 so I can get maximum speed. I did an internet search and came up with this page
http://www.sonnettech.com/downloads/adapter_sw.html#driversI downloaded and installed the drivers for my OS and restarting my computer. However the CD write still only writes at a maximum speed of 4x. Did I do somthing wrong, or can someone reccommend another usb 2.0 driver?

Thank you

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: USB 2.0 CD-RW, where can I download drivers

Nope sorry, a driver update will not magically turn a Macs USB 1.1 ports into USB 2.0 ports.

You would need to buy a USB 2.0 PCI card, and of course have a PowerMac to use it in.

Firewire 400 would have been the best choice for the older Mac. Or or a FW800/USB2.0 combo drive for the newer machines.

Unless you have a Rev B Aluminum PowerBook, a G5, or a USB 2.0 PCI card.

BCre8tive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
I guess that explains it, thanks for the info. DO you know where I can get a USB 2.0 card? Are they expensive? I have a power mac, its about 3 years old
Thanks for your help

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003

BCre8tive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
$15 isn't too bad. I was worried it would cost closer to $100. It writes at 52x and rewites at 24x. I usually just use CD-rs anyway. Usually I would just buy a firewire external drive, but this one was on sale really cheap so I got it.
Thanks for all your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.