Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jilter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Hi. About to purchase an Imac with only USB 1. Is this a mistake?
Will I be sorry real soon for not having the higher standard?
Am I correct that in a 17" Imac (1 gHz) there is NO way to upgrade with cards to get USB 2 or even the higher standard
of Firewire into the machine?
Thanks!

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Yes, there is no way to upgrade the machine via cards. I personally do not have any USB 2.0 devices, but were I going to buy a new computer right now, I would ensure that it had all the latest technology on it so that it would be the most useful for the longest period of time. However, money is always an object, and that is not a bad computer.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
Re: Usb 2

I wouldnt worry about USB 2. Most if not all of the things that support USB 2 is backwards compatible with USB 1. So you'll be safe.
Originally posted by jilter
Hi. About to purchase an Imac with only USB 1. Is this a mistake?
Will I be sorry real soon for not having the higher standard?
Am I correct that in a 17" Imac (1 gHz) there is NO way to upgrade with cards to get USB 2 or even the higher standard
of Firewire into the machine?
Thanks!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
the iMac you're talking about does indeed have Firewire built in. It's comparable in speed and a lot more readily available, as it's been out for a couple of years. Personally, I wouldn't blink at not having USB2, there is simply no point to that technology even existing with FW and FW800 on the market...

so IMHO, go for it.

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.