Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Hi,

I've got an Orico 10 port USB 3.0 Hub. It seems to be working fine thus far, but the two external hard drives connected to it and other peripherals such as the mouse don't power off when the computer is turned off.

I feel like it's a bad idea to have the hard drives turned on and running 24/7 when they don't need to be.

Is there anyway to fix this?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
1. What kind of computer? What OS/X version?
2. What drives are you using?
2. Do the drives turn off when directly connected to your MAC?
3. What is your Preference/Energy Saver/"Put hard disks to sleep when possible" setting?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The hub would still be providing power to devices, as it is self-powered. Probably doesn't provide pass-through signal to shut down devices, which might be normal for that hub.
Turn off the hub when you shut off your Mac, or turn off/disconnect the drives when not in use.
Or, replace the hub with one that works like you want (the Orico hub might be defective, or might be working properly, you would have to try another hub)
Or, you could try using the hub as a bus-powered device (not sure if a 10-port hub should be used that way, but a USB 3.0 bus does have more current available than USB 2. You could try it without the power adapter attached.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
1. What kind of computer? What OS/X version?
2. What drives are you using?
2. Do the drives turn off when directly connected to your MAC?
3. What is your Preference/Energy Saver/"Put hard disks to sleep when possible" setting?
1. iMac 27" 2013, Yosemite 10.10.5
2. LaciE Porsche and a new 5TB Seagate (forget the exact model)
3. They all turn off when connected directly to the Mac
4. I'm pretty certain it is set to sleep when possible but I'll double check.

The hub would still be providing power to devices, as it is self-powered. Probably doesn't provide pass-through signal to shut down devices, which might be normal for that hub.
Turn off the hub when you shut off your Mac, or turn off/disconnect the drives when not in use.
Or, replace the hub with one that works like you want (the Orico hub might be defective, or might be working properly, you would have to try another hub)
Or, you could try using the hub as a bus-powered device (not sure if a 10-port hub should be used that way, but a USB 3.0 bus does have more current available than USB 2. You could try it without the power adapter attached.
I see. Unfortunately there is no off button and the power points are not comfortably in reach, so unplugging the power connector is probably the best bet. Bit annoying though.

I think without the power it doesn't work, but I'll double check that.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP noted:
"3. They all turn off when connected directly to the Mac"

Well, therein lies the problem.

SOMEthing about the hub (could be hardware, could be firmware, etc.) seems to be interrupting or preventing the "spin down" command from the Mac from getting through to the drives.
Is it a powered hub? The presence of "bus power" from the hub itself may keep the drives "spun up".

Seems to me that you're going to have to either
a. Replace the hub with another that works (no way to know if a new one you buy WILL work, until you try it -- maybe yes, maybe no, probably no)
or
b. Plug the devices you wish to spin down directly to the Mac.

Workaround:
Get a powerstrip with an on/off switch.
Plug the hub AND the drives into the powerstrip.
Now, when you turn off the Mac, reach down and turn the powerstrip OFF.
When you power back up, reach down and flip the powerstrip ON.

Personal experience:
I keep ALL my devices AND my desktop Mac "on the powerstrip".
When I power it down, EVERYTHING is disconnected from "the mains" ...

Reactions: DeltaMac

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
OP noted:
"3. They all turn off when connected directly to the Mac"

Well, therein lies the problem.

SOMEthing about the hub (could be hardware, could be firmware, etc.) seems to be interrupting or preventing the "spin down" command from the Mac from getting through to the drives.
Is it a powered hub? The presence of "bus power" from the hub itself may keep the drives "spun up".

Seems to me that you're going to have to either
a. Replace the hub with another that works (no way to know if a new one you buy WILL work, until you try it -- maybe yes, maybe no, probably no)
or
b. Plug the devices you wish to spin down directly to the Mac.

Workaround:
Get a powerstrip with an on/off switch.
Plug the hub AND the drives into the powerstrip.
Now, when you turn off the Mac, reach down and turn the powerstrip OFF.
When you power back up, reach down and flip the powerstrip ON.

Personal experience:
I keep ALL my devices AND my desktop Mac "on the powerstrip".
When I power it down, EVERYTHING is disconnected from "the mains" ...
Having updated to Sierra from Yosemite, they now turn off -- though the mouse doesn't still. I'm not sure if it's connected, or being weird and random. Possibly will do as you suggested anyway and get something where he can actually turn it off. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.