Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnotherScott

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
My Macbook Air M1 has only 256 GB internal. My intent had been to keep most of my data on an external drive, but I find that the internal is still getting too full. (One reason is that Mac Mail insists on keeping its data on the boot drive, and I have over 70 GB of archived mail, don't ask! Though I'm thinking of switching to Outlook to alleviate this, but getting my existing Mail archive into Outlook seems non-trivial. But that's another question. And regardless, other apps like to keep lots of things on the boot drive as well.)

Anyway, I was thinking that one solution would be to boot from an external drive. I know the externals aren't quite as fast, but I wonder how much difference it will make... and how noticeable the difference is between a USB 3.1 vs. Thunderbolt external for this purpose.

The drives I am looking at are the Fantom Extreme 2TB Thunderbolt SSD and the Crucial X9 Pro 4TB USB SSD (technically a USB 3.2, but I think the Macbook Air M1's ports are only 3.1 so it will function as a 3.1). Obviously, specs favor the TB drive, but I wonder how much real-world difference there is. The reason I'd prefer to use the Crucial is that it is much smaller and lighter. I would feel comfortable attaching it to the back of the Macboook lid, maintaining the full portability of the Macbook, whereas the thunderbolt drive, as compact as it is, seems like it might still be too big and heavy to comfortably use that way.

Has anyone run their M1s off these kinds of external drives, who can report their experiences?

Related: I know virtual memory creates a swap file on the boot drive. Is there any way to tell the Mac to use its internal drive for the swap file even if I'm booting from an external (e.g. a terminal command)? (BTW, my Macbook has 16 GB RAM in it, so at least it shouldn't be accessing the swap file as much as it would if it only had the standard 8 GB.)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Even though one can still boot an m-series Mac from an external drive, it's NOT something you want to do on an "all-the-time" basis.

Your "problem" is not the size of the drive.
The problem is you have too many old emails.
What can one DO with 70gb of old emails, anyway?

There are some 3rd-party email management/archiving apps out there.
The name "Mail Steward" comes to mind.

I suggest you use something like that to "archive off" most of that email to an external drive.
Clear up the internal drive and get going again.

Or... get yourself a replacement MacBook that has a drive big enough to accommodate all your "stuff"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.