Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
  • After sleep, external drives must be powered down to be remounted.

Thanks for reporting this. It would be nice if a second person can confirm too.

I've heard this before for one of the ML updates (in this very thread), but it didn't affect me. My drives still reconnected themselves upon wake, even after I did the same ML update.

I'll probably update to Mavericks after a couple more updates, or maybe even skip it altogether. I've just read too many problems about it here on MR.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
I assure you that the PFU3-2P does not require supplemental power.
It's not that I want to raise my issue again (a lemon PFU3-2P) but the box it came in specifically states "4PIN Power Supply Connector Require to be Attached". The box also says "951455-PFU3-2P"

There was a CD in the box with a "ORICO_Installation_Guide" that says the following:

Attention
1. Please ensure you have CONNECTED the POWER SUPPLY BEFORE INSTALLATION (If the Devices contain power supply connector).

Which it does of course. Now I believe you that power isn't necessary with this card, but then why would they say it does?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
It's not that I want to raise my issue again (a lemon PFU3-2P) but the box it came in specifically states "4PIN Power Supply Connector Require to be Attached". The box also says "951455-PFU3-2P"

There was a CD in the box with a "ORICO_Installation_Guide" that says the following:

Attention
1. Please ensure you have CONNECTED the POWER SUPPLY BEFORE INSTALLATION (If the Devices contain power supply connector).

Which it does of course. Now I believe you that power isn't necessary with this card, but then why would they say it does?

As I recall, the USB 3.0 specification allocates up to 900ma of current to be drawn by devices connected to each USB 3.0 port. That is a lot of current to be supplied by the PCIe bus to the multiple card port connectors. To be safe, I suspect the designers provided a power connection since, in a PC, providing a power connect is very easy ... but not so easy for a Mac Pro.

Fortunately, most users don't connect devices which draw that much maximum power, let alone multiple bus-powered devices simultaneously. I suspect most posters here have not stressed the power draw issue, and thus have not had any problems with their usage. That doesn't mean that others will also have the same experience.

Some cards, such as the CalDigit USB 3/SATA card only have 2 USB 3.0 ports and have no auxiliary power input connector, but I don't recall if they specced the maximum power drain from both ports simultaneously on their data sheet.

I would look at what USB 3.0 devices I planned on using, and based on that decide if running the power cable would be prudent.

-howard

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Pfu3-4p

I have since installed another Orico PFU3-4P in another Mac Pro 2012 model and everything seems to be fine. Was able to find some cables that were a better fit to take power from the optical drive cable and managed to pass them through that annoyingly small gap that the custom SATA cable for the SATA drives goes through.

The PFU3-4P is down to $20 on Amazon.

My Mac Pro cannot go on top of my desk and while the card is decent quality, I'd rather not keep plugging stuff directly into it. Picked up an Orico 4-port BOKCORE USB 3.0 hub a while back and haven't had any issues. Orico hub is nice and sturdy, has an on/off power switch and a dedicated charging port. Only flaw I've seen is that the labels under the port are wearing off, the letters USB1 and USB2 are now very blurry, but most people don't have a need to remember what goes where anyway.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010

I do not know; that sounds like a question for Orico.

My personal experience is that it works in my system without supplemental power while using thumb drives, self-powered 3.5" external drives, and bus-powered 2.5" external drives. Other people are also using the card successfully without supplemental power.

I have also tried three other Fresco Logic chip-based USB 3.0 cards, all of which required the supplemental power to be hooked up. For every one of those cards, even with no devices attached at all, OS X pops up an error message about insufficient USB power.

I'll update the front page to note what you saw in the manual, but if you have concern about power, by all means either hook up supplemental power or get a card that doesn't have the supplemental power connector.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
What drivers are everyone using? I am using LaCie's drivers even thought I am on Mavericks. The problem is, while it recognizes my Porsche 1 TB drive, it won't recognize and mount my Seagate 2TB external.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I am using LaCie's drivers even thought I am on Mavericks. The problem is, while it recognizes my Porsche 1 TB drive, it won't recognize and mount my Seagate 2TB external.

LaCie uses the NEC chipset like a lot of manufacturers, but they modified their drivers to only work with LaCie drives.

Note their driver download states "For LaCie storage products only".
http://www.lacie.com/more/index.htm?id=10112

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
I do not know; that sounds like a question for Orico.[…]My personal experience is that it works in my system without supplemental power […] I'll update the front page to note what you saw in the manual […]or get a card that doesn't have the supplemental power connector.
Thank you for your trouble. I really appreciate that. As for me, I will not try another ORICO because the time I've spent fixing my system translates to multiple expensive cards like the 1144CM. After hearing about the value of the new CalDigit card that they say is coming, I will make up my mind and get either one. I'll report here if that is of any value to this topic.
ORICO refunded the money but they did not ask me to return the card.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
I would look at what USB 3.0 devices I planned on using, and based on that decide if running the power cable would be prudent.
Thank you Howard. I would only use:
- CF card reader
- Powered EHD's
- one bus powered External USB3 SSD (120GB SSD OWC Mercury On-The-Go USB 3.0)
None of those would normally draw too much power I guess. But then a 1144CM or new FASTA-6GU would do this easily too.

Robert Davies

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
People's Republic of Wrexham
I have not had any meaningful success with the 2 port Orico card either powered or unpowered - transfers would stall, the drive would unmount itself, causing that error message.

I have had some success with an Inateck 2 port card powered from a Molex splitter behind the optical drives, into a Molex -> SATA power cable (the Inateck runs a SATA power socket). Whilst the Orico card would show up in the system unpowered, the Inateck would not even detected until the power was added. I've been giving the Inateck a workout connected to a Seagate external 2TB USB 3.0 drive, being utilised as a Time Machine drive - the Orico failed within a minute of such use - the Inateck is till going strong three plus hours later.

MP 1,1 -> 2,1 Octo 3ghz 16gb RAM running 10.9.2 13C48

carlosm86

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
I have not had any meaningful success with the 2 port Orico card either powered or unpowered - transfers would stall, the drive would unmount itself, causing that error message.

I have had some success with an Inateck 2 port card powered from a Molex splitter behind the optical drives, into a Molex -> SATA power cable (the Inateck runs a SATA power socket). Whilst the Orico card would show up in the system unpowered, the Inateck would not even detected until the power was added. I've been giving the Inateck a workout connected to a Seagate external 2TB USB 3.0 drive, being utilised as a Time Machine drive - the Orico failed within a minute of such use - the Inateck is till going strong three plus hours later.

MP 1,1 -> 2,1 Octo 3ghz 16gb RAM running 10.9.2 13C48

same card I got, I felt bad sacrificing a HDD but it seems well worth it to have 4 USB3 powered ports.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Inateck now has a 4-port FL1100 card that doesn't have an extra power connection. (Go here and select the "4 Ports for Mac Pro" variant.) Wonder how well that works.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Inateck now has a 4-port FL1100 card that doesn't have an extra power connection. (Go here and select the "4 Ports for Mac Pro" variant.) Wonder how well that works.

Looks interesting. I like that it specifically says "for Mac Pro". This is probably what I would buy today if I didn't already have a working solution.

If someone verifies it, I'll add it to the list up front.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

That looks like a nice card. I'll buy one next month when I get out of the hospital and see how well it works for me.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Looks interesting. I like that it specifically says "for Mac Pro". This is probably what I would buy today if I didn't already have a working solution.

If someone verifies it, I'll add it to the list up front.

I've got one on the way. I'll do a short review and post it here. I'm also getting one of their USB 3.0 buss powered 2.5" enclosures along with it. I just wish I had an SSD to put it through it's paces.

NicoCollu

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014
Harddisk keeps unmounting with ORICO!

Sorry to bust the bubble but ORICO isn't working that well for me.

I'm running a 4TB LaCie drive with ORICO 2P and the drive ejects itself a lot of times. It's super annoying and I need to find a solution!

Does anyone have any news on why?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I've got one on the way. I'll do a short review and post it here. I'm also getting one of their USB 3.0 buss powered 2.5" enclosures along with it. I just wish I had an SSD to put it through it's paces.

I'm confused about what actual model number this is. After selecting "4-port for Mac Pro" the picture on Amazon shows a card with no power connectors and the model "ktu3fr-4pa" silkscreened on it. This is a model already recommended in the front post and people who have bought it have hooked up power. Looking up that model number on Inateck's website verifies it is "for Mac" but also shows it has a power connector and power cabling.

http://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-4pa-4-port-usb-3-0-pci-e-express-card/

So definitely please report in with what you get and what the model number is. Perhaps newer revs of the board don't require supplemental power and older revs do? And they haven't updated their website? Very confusing.

Sorry to bust the bubble but ORICO isn't working that well for me.

I'm running a 4TB LaCie drive with ORICO 2P and the drive ejects itself a lot of times. It's super annoying and I need to find a solution!

Does anyone have any news on why?

I don't know. In the last month or so 2-3 people have reported problems including locking up for large transfers and constantly ejecting drives.

I'll update the first post with the latest reports and a "YMMV" warning.

Mine still works well. I do get an eject warning after waking from sleep, but the drives remount themselves. Sustained transfers work fine. FWIW, I'm still on ML.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I'm confused about what actual model number this is. After selecting "4-port for Mac Pro" the picture on Amazon shows a card with no power connectors and the model "ktu3fr-4pa" silkscreened on it. This is a model already recommended in the front post and people who have bought it have hooked up power. Looking up that model number on Inateck's website verifies it is "for Mac" but also shows it has a power connector and power cabling.

So definitely please report in with what you get and what the model number is. Perhaps newer revs of the board don't require supplemental power and older revs do? And they haven't updated their website? Very confusing.

I don't know. In the last month or so 2-3 people have reported problems including locking up for large transfers and constantly ejecting drives.

Mine still works well. I do get an eject warning after waking from sleep, but the drives remount themselves. Sustained transfers work fine. FWIW, I'm still on ML.

One of the comments in the feedback section for this card had the following info from Inateck customer support:

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 1:12:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2014 1:12:55 AM PST
The Inateck Team says:
Dear customer,

We are gladly to inform you the updated version of the Inateck USB 3.0 PCIE card for Mac Pro will soon be launched in 10 days.

No extra power cables will be needed since it can be powered through its own PCIE port which makes it a bit more stable.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your insightful review.

Warm Regards,

The Inateck Team

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

I actually have the card in question. I'm still bound to bed due to recent surgery so I can't do a full review just yet.. It does not require additional power, nor are there any connectors for that purpose.

Here are a few pics of the product. Please excuse photo quality, they are taken in the bed with me from my iPad, and lighting is poor.

I tried to attach several pics, but only one seems to be allowed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I think it's safe to say "rev B2 and later" don't require power then. Updating first post.

If one of you has the time and two drives, I would love to see simultaneous transfers tested with the 4-port. I know the 2-port FL1009 has a shared controller so you drastically lose speed when using two ports at the same time, but I don't know about the 4-port FL1100. I've asked people to test theirs, but they've never got back to me.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I think it's safe to say "rev B2 and later" don't require power then. Updating first post.

If one of you has the time and two drives, I would love to see simultaneous transfers tested with the 4-port. I know the 2-port FL1009 has a shared controller so you drastically lose speed when using two ports at the same time, but I don't know about the 4-port FL1100. I've asked people to test theirs, but they've never got back to me.

I'll do it as soon as I'm able.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.