Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
my MacPro5,1 startet to behave erratically with the combination of the SAMSUNG XP941 plus CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 Pro. I had to wait ages until the EFI bootmenu appeared when I wanted to switch os. also, MS-Windows wouldn't boot anymore at about half of the attempts I tried it. went back to the inateck KT4004 and all is well again.

EDIT:

went to the inateck site and saw that there seems to be a new card from them (specifically for the Mac Pro):
http://www.inateck.com/inateck-kt7001-7-port-usb-3-0-pci-e-express-card/

Thanks for sharing this info. Probably advantageous to have various brands of USB 3.0 cards in case of compatibility issues. About the Inateck 7 ports USB 3, if I recall that card came out more than a year ago. http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Por...qid=1423130011&sr=8-1&keywords=inateck+kt7001

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
my MacPro5,1 startet to behave erratically with the combination of the SAMSUNG XP941 plus CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 Pro. I had to wait ages until the EFI bootmenu appeared when I wanted to switch os. also, MS-Windows wouldn't boot anymore at about half of the attempts I tried it. went back to the inateck KT4004 and all is well again.

EDIT:

went to the inateck site and saw that there seems to be a new card from them (specifically for the Mac Pro):
http://www.inateck.com/inateck-kt7001-7-port-usb-3-0-pci-e-express-card/

Kind of excited about this card until I read this in the description:

This PCI-E Card is incompatible with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite;

Not good. I very occasionally have a USB issue with my current Inatek 4 port for Mac card and usually just changing to a different port on the card works. I have a 4-port USB 3.0 Hub (Orico) plugged into one of the ports for easier access to the ports (reaching around the back and fumbling around is irritating).

Update: I wonder if the thing with Yosemite is true? I read a review about this card and someone said it uses the same USB 3.0 controller as the new Mac Pro (Fresco FL1100 series). If that's the case, Yosemite should be fine, right?

Update2: Just read the first post about the FL1100 chipset. Duh!

Last edited:

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Kind of excited about this card until I read this in the description:

This PCI-E Card is incompatible with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite;

Not good. I very occasionally have a USB issue with my current Inatek 4 port for Mac card and usually just changing to a different port on the card works. I have a 4-port USB 3.0 Hub (Orico) plugged into one of the ports for easier access to the ports (reaching around the back and fumbling around is irritating).

Update: I wonder if the thing with Yosemite is true? I read a review about this card and someone said it uses the same USB 3.0 controller as the new Mac Pro (Fresco FL1100 series). If that's the case, Yosemite should be fine, right?

The Yosemite incompatibility has got me too. Earlier I ordered a different Inatek card but realized that I missed the "not compatible with Yosemite" in the fine print so I had to send it back.

I am on the lookout for a USB3 card that works with both Yosemite and an Apricorn Velocity Duo x2 card. My Vel Duo works perfectly so I do not want to screw that up.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
The Yosemite incompatibility has got me too. Earlier I ordered a different Inatek card but realized that I missed the "not compatible with Yosemite" in the fine print so I had to send it back.

I am on the lookout for a USB3 card that works with both Yosemite and an Apricorn Velocity Duo x2 card. My Vel Duo works perfectly so I do not want to screw that up.

I've got two Velocity Solo x2's (in RAID 0) and I don't have any major issues in Yosemite. Apparently the 4-port Inatek has the same chipset as the 7-port, so apart from some extra ports, I wouldn't gain any better compatibility.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Update: I wonder if the thing with Yosemite is true? I read a review about this card and someone said it uses the same USB 3.0 controller as the new Mac Pro (Fresco FL1100 series).

The Inateck KT4004 works fine in Yosemite.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20444605#post20444605

Lou

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Update2: Just read the first post about the FL1100 chipset. Duh!

The Inateck KT-4004 card works perfectly well in Yosemite. I've contacted Inateck several times about the misinformation presented in that advert. Apparently they don't care since it's not fixed yet.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Yes one of the main selling points to me for FL1100 chipsets is Apple will probably keep a native driver for it in OS X for a long, long time.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
I'm torn between getting USB 3.0 only or a combo card with eSATA and USB3.0 for my MP 2010 (Yosemite).

The Inateck KT4004 sounds like an inexpensive option and by most accounts works well. I'm also strongly considering the 1144C in case I ever hook up more than one USB3 device and need simultaneous transfers.

I really like what I'm reading about the CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 Pro but it's such a large jump in price.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive PCI eSATA card that I can install beside the Inateck and that won't cause conflicts. My optical bay 2 x eSATA ports are both being used otherwise I would have gone with an eSATA extender.

From what I'm reading it's just the USB3 cards that have Bluetooth interference, not the eSATA cards?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm torn between getting USB 3.0 only or a combo card with eSATA and USB3.0 for my MP 2010 (Yosemite).

The Inateck KT4004 sounds like an inexpensive option and by most accounts works well. I'm also strongly considering the 1144C in case I ever hook up more than one USB3 device and need simultaneous transfers.

I really like what I'm reading about the CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 Pro but it's such a large jump in price.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive PCI eSATA card that I can install beside the Inateck and that won't cause conflicts. My optical bay 2 x eSATA ports are both being used otherwise I would have gone with an eSATA extender.

From what I'm reading it's just the USB3 cards that have Bluetooth interference, not the eSATA cards?

All of the below cards feature UASP

All USB 3.0 Add-In cards CAN NOT BOOT from a USB 3.0 port

If you want the eSATA / USB 3.0 card with a bootable eSATA drive and the FL1100 chipset;
CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 Pro - Special feature(s): eSATA bootability

If you don't care about eSATA booting and want a combo card with the fastest possible transfer speeds;
HighPoint RocketU 1144E - Special feature(s): independent high speed controllers for each port

If you want USB 3.0 only with fastest possible transfer speeds;
HighPoint RocketU 1144C - - Special feature(s): independent high speed controllers for each port

If you want USB 3.0 only with FL1100 chipset for maximum compatibility and high powered charging ports;
Sonnet Allegro USB 3.0 4-Port - Special feature(s): FL1100 chipset (same as nMP) & up to 2A output per port

If you want USB 3.0 only with the FL1100 chipset for maximum compatibility and inexpensive price;
Inateck KT4004 - Special feature(s): FL1100 chipset (same as nMP) & price

I can't advise you on a standalone eSATA card

Last edited:

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009

Hi maestrokev. For USB 3/eSata combo cards, either the CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 Pro or the HighPoint RocketU 1144E would be your choice. Both cards support UASP transfers and you can plug in other USB devices like printers, keyboards, mouse and so on. Caldigit is the only brand that provides booting via eSata. The prices of the 2 are close, the HP RocketU 1144E is $145 compared to Caldigit's $169

Another USB 3/eSata combo card is the Newertech MaxPower at $109. Though this card does not offer UASP and does not support other USB devices.

http://www.amazon.com/NewerTech-MAX..._sbs_e_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=02V3QR2HHXWQJ0S93YS0

I am not sure if it's only USB 3 that causes interference on Bluetooth. I have an older model Caldigit USB 3/eSata combo and I can connect my Samsung phone via Bluetooth. Though I can't comment on other Bluetooth devices if they would also work. The solution is to get an external Bluetooth dongle.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I use the Inateck KT-4006 in my Mac Pro 1,1 running 10.10.2 without any issues at all. It was totally plug and play with no drivers required. I've only tried my USB 3 external hard drives, but they work great and speed test much faster than the USB 2 ports.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
All of the below cards feature UASP

If you want the eSATA / USB 3.0 card with a bootable eSATA drive;
CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 Pro - Special feature eSATA bootability

If you don't care about eSATA booting and want a combo card with the fastest possible transfer speeds;
HighPoint RocketU 1144E - Special feature independent high speed controllers for each port

If you want USB 3.0 only with fastest possible transfer speeds;
HighPoint RocketU 1144C - - Special feature independent high speed controllers for each port

If you want USB 3.0 only with FL1100 chipset for maximum compatibility and high powered charging ports;
Sonnet Allegro USB 3.0 4-Port - Special feature FL1100 chipset (same as nMP) & up to 2A output per port

If you want USB 3.0 only with the FL1100 chipset for maximum compatibility and inexpensive price;
Inateck KT4004 - FL1100 chipset (same as nMP) & price

I can't advise you on a standalone eSATA card

I wish you could take over the first post. :)

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I wish you could take over the first post. :)

I wouldn't even know how to make that happen. The 1st post is still very relevant, it just needs one comprehensive update. I don't see the lineup changing much from here on out. It's really tapered off since the nMP has taken somewhat of a foothold.

If you know how to make that happen (access to post #1) I'll update it when I get a chance.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
crjackson2134 & Macsonic,

Thanks for the summary! Looks like if I'm spending on the higher range it makes more sense to go with the CalDigit rather than the 1144E for the option to boot.

Then again, does anyone ever use eSATA or FW boot anymore? I always thought that was a great option for avoiding downtime in case of main drive failure but seems Apple has decided to remove FW and not provide an option for USB boot on newer models.

Can anyone see circumstances where independent high speed USB3.0 controllers would be put to use? I was thinking of the odd time where I have to clone a hard drive but I'm going to order the Startech duplicator dock.

Any recommendations on UASP USB3.0 docks that work with the CalDigit/HighPoint/Inateck cards?

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005

Thanks for the summary! Looks like if I'm spending on the higher range it makes more sense to go with the CalDigit rather than the 1144E for the option to boot.

Then again, does anyone ever use eSATA or FW boot anymore? I always thought that was a great option for avoiding downtime in case of main drive failure but seems Apple has decided to remove FW and not provide an option for USB boot on newer models.

Can anyone see circumstances where independent high speed USB3.0 controllers would be put to use? I was thinking of the odd time where I have to clone a hard drive but I'm going to order the Startech duplicator dock.

Any recommendations on UASP USB3.0 docks that work with the CalDigit/HighPoint/Inateck cards?

Which newer models don't support USB boot? Three brand new Mac Pro's boot just fine from USB 3.0 hard drives.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Yes, lots of people use eSATA to boot externals.

Independent controllers are especially useful when transferring data to and from external SSDs and when using USB in raid configuration, or cloning an external to an external. It's a great option to have.

I use an Inateck dual dock.

Last edited:

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Yes, lots of people use eSATA to boot externals.

Independent controllers are especially useful when transferring data to and from external SSDs and when using USB in raid configuration, or cloning an external to an external. It's a great option to have.

I use an Inateck dual dock.

Does the CalDigit card have independent controllers for each eSATA and USB port? I can't seem to find verification that it does. If I'm only running 7200/5900 RPM hard drives and infrequently SSD's is it possible to saturate the bandwidth without independent controllers?

I'm planning on buying an eSATA/USB3 StarTech dual HD dock and using with this card to do backups for off-site storage.

Thanks again for the info.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Does the CalDigit card have independent controllers for each eSATA and USB port? I can't seem to find verification that it does. If I'm only running 7200/5900 RPM hard drives and infrequently SSD's is it possible to saturate the bandwidth without independent controllers?

I'm planning on buying an eSATA/USB3 StarTech dual HD dock and using with this card to do backups for off-site storage.

Thanks again for the info.

No it does not. Please have a look at this post.

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Fyi

On Amazon, the price of the HighPoint RocketU 1144C has dropped from $110 down to $75, that's a $25 price drop.

So for twice the price (roughly) of an Inateck you get a more beefy card.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
If you know how to make that happen (access to post #1) I'll update it when I get a chance.

I don't know how to make it happen either, in fact the Edit button has been unavailable to me for a while. However, the Edit button is back. I don't really understand this, maybe a mod can explain this or it's my own user error.

In any case, I'll update it if you have any recommended changes.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I don't know how to make it happen either, in fact the Edit button has been unavailable to me for a while. However, the Edit button is back. I don't really understand this, maybe a mod can explain this or it's my own user error.

In any case, I'll update it if you have any recommended changes.

Sure, I'll tweak it up when I get a chance and PM the whole thing to you. You can copy and paste that way. It'll be a little while before I get to it, I've got other personal distractions right at the moment.

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Original LaCie USB 3.0 PCIE Card

Hi All,

I've looked through this thread and online but couldn't find an answer so I figured I'd consult the pro's. I came across an original Lacie USB 3.0 PCIE card, and I'm curious if it could be functional in my cMP running Yosemite. I believe it to be the model that modbin's hack was for, but I can't tell if that mod is effective anymore.

I realize better options have come down the pipeline at this point, but is there a way to make this card functional in the current OS, or should I just scrap it?

Thanks so much for any info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.