Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joystik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Alrighty guys, i have been having this weird usb connection problem for a while now, but have not gotten the chance to ask. Well the problem is that my usb will not connect. I have a 12" powerbook 1.5ghz. I have tried connecting the external harddrive but it would not show up on the desktop. I have also tried connecting my psp..and that wouldnt work either.

The cable i am using is brand new...and has been working fine. Anyone else running into the same issues?

joystik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
wireless mouse works fine, it powers up the harddrive but does not connect it. the light on the hard drive is on but i cannot get into the hard drive, it does not appear on the desktop, or in the macintosh HD menu.

nicuma

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2004
maybe the harddrive isnt formatted to use on mac maybe? i've had my bro's external harddrive(used on windows desktop only) connect to my iBook but it doesnt show up on the desktop....so im guessing different format type on ther external harddrive....i could be wrong but my bro's external cant be detected on my iBook and the external is purely used on Windows only and it uses a different format system i think...

again im not too sure

joystik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
both the harddrive and the psp have been used with the powerbook before...just recently it hasnt been working. I have not changed any settings. I have no idea whast up.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
joystik said:
both the harddrive and the psp have been used with the powerbook before...just recently it hasnt been working. I have not changed any settings. I have no idea whast up.

If you have the developer tools installed, disconnect the devices then open the USB Prober utility. Then connect the suspect devices, they should show up in the USB Prober list. If not then you probably have a dead usb port on either the laptop or the suspect device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.