Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirThom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Are USB flash drives compatible with OS X, or are there only certain types that are compatible? I'd like to quickly transfer a few files between OS X and my windows box, both of which won't always be networked, so cross-platform capabilities are a must.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Every USB drive I have tried on OSX has been compatible. Mostly, they are FAT32 formatted. If you get one that is NTFS formatted you'll have to reformat before you are able to write to it.

If you have one of the encrypted security ones, you won't be able to use it unless you have the appropriate software installed and issue the password.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Most of the modern ones do just work, they report themselves as mass storage devices and that's that. There are exceptions, for example I have an old Smartmedia dongle that needs a device driver for OS X to see it (fortunately there is a driver!).

It is worth the trouble to spend a few minutes on Google to see if a drive you're interested in is either advertised as Mac compatibile, or that someone has reported success in using it on the Mac.

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I've used one of those ($20) 1G flash drives for documents and pictures for Mac & PC, and both have work on both OS's without any problems... :)

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I have a few flash drives, and oddly enough they're formatted in FAT16... something I've never heard of, but they work fine. One bit of advice though, if you trash stuff from the drive, you have to empty the trash before ejecting the flash drive or it won't delete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.