Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've had two KPs in the last three hours related to unplugging USB 1.1 devices.

Probably related is the Logitech Control Center 1.2.1, which seems to pause the trackball at times.

I decided to try replacing things to make certain there was a good hardware connection. Before I was able to do that, I got virus-like behaviour as both the trackball and keyboard seemed to freeze and applications became miserably slow. I was able to see the outlines of a dialog box that confirmed that I was quitting--4 outlined boxes.

At this point, I replaced the keyboard and the trackball. The Apple Pro Mouse did not light up, signalling that there was no power. I removed the USB extension cable and got similar results. About this time, I got the KP display. I pressed the hard reset and the machine went into limbo--not powered off, not booting. Pressing the power button started things going.

The machine is fine for now.

Anyone with similar experiences? (I hope not!)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Yeah, there is something up. I had a Logitech KB with a bad cable (tripped on it, not a mfg. defect) that worked well enough for a few days until I could get a replacement, but yes, it would cause kernel panics if I moved it the wrong way. Yeah, it was a hardware problem, but not the type that I think should properly be allowed to kill the OS. It wasn't really clear from the way things happened whether it's a Logitech thing or the lower level OS X USB stuff at fault.

the Logitech pref pane is still installed an active because I still use a dual optical mouse on this machine, but the keyboard has since been replaced with a Kensington one. No further panics with this setup, but all thehot plugging/unplugging is being done through the hub built into the new keyboard.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
same thing with my old G3@350 imac when i unpulgged a bluetooth adapter. only happened once, so i guess it's related to your problem...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Glad to know that I'm not alone. The USB device arbitration routine should be ready to handle anything added or removed, so I can't imagine that it just goes wild and signals the kernel that it cannot continue.

In another note, Logitech support, with an Indian name, wrote me that the Marble Mouse is incompatible with 10.3.3--not the Logitech Control Center but Marble Mouse. Someone is getting their money's worth there. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.