Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Are there any good quality (possibly high def) tv tuners out there that are compatible with macs? i'm thinking of getting one that i can hook into my brotheres cable box when i'm over there to watch entourage and other stuff, and i've got a macbookpro coming. was thinking it'd be cool to just bring it over and steal his cable......

any one know of one?

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Elgato are the main TV Tuners for Macs, they deal in USB and Firewire. I doubt you'll get HD though.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
nordesmic said:
I'm using an Elgato eyeTV dvb-t tuner connected by usb 2.0. It deals in high definition and is a great product, but presumably you're in the US- and I don't think you can use it there. I think there are other eyeTV products but they are a bit pricier http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv500

Do you recommend the quality of this, my mate had a different eyeTV model an the quality wasnt that great ?

and whats the software like on it

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
MacDonaldsd said:
Do you recommend the quality of this, my mate had a different eyeTV model an the quality wasnt that great ?

and whats the software like on it

I use one of these as my main TV. The quality is excellent if you use a proper external antenna. The one you get is crap. The 2.0 software is very good.

Check out the massive for more...

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
all these things seem great. maybe i was wrong saying tv tuner. maybe i meant "video in", just so i can record. some of these things SEEM ELABORATE. also, i wonder if that software (which seems to me would be fairly processor intensive) is being ported to universal binaries yet......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.