Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
I have an iPad Pro (1st generation) with what appears to be a USB type-C port. Period. No other ports, which I’ve been trying to get used for for more than a year now, but that’s not my current issue. Here’s what is the issue:

I simply want to know which is faster/better, my USB Type-C port or a Thunderbolt port?

I assume there is an appropriate adapter if the answer is Thunderbolt?

Thank you.

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
I have an iPad Pro (1st generation) with what appears to be a USB type-C port. Period. No other ports, which I’ve been trying to get used for for more than a year now, but that’s not my current issue. Here’s what is the issue:

I simply want to know which is faster/better, my USB Type-C port or a Thunderbolt port?

I assume there is an appropriate adapter if the answer is Thunderbolt?

Thank you.
Actually, if you have a 1st gen Pro, you have a lightening port, not a USB-C. Only the latest generation Pros have a USB-C port.

I’m not aware of a Lightening to Thunderbolt adapter.

Reactions: Laisha

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Thunderbolt is faster than your Lightning port, but an adapter will always be as slow as the slowest link in the chain, which in this case is Lightning.

Reactions: Laisha

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Lightning and USB Type-C are the names of physical ports. Thunderbolt and USB are data transfer protocols. The reason it's confusing is because the ports themselves can carry many different protocols and even power. But to answer your specific question about data transfer protocols, Thunderbolt 3 is faster than USB 3.1 (40 Gbps vs 10 Gbps).

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Lightning and USB Type-C are the names of physical ports. Thunderbolt and USB are data transfer protocols. The reason it's confusing is because the ports themselves can carry many different protocols and even power. But to answer your specific question about data transfer protocols, Thunderbolt 3 is faster than USB 3.1 (40 Gbps vs 10 Gbps).

Correct, until the last sentence.

USB ports using the original A connector can be USB 1, 1.1, 2.0, or 3.0. USB ports using the new C connector can be carrying USB 2.0, USB 3.1gen1 (same as "3.0" on the A connector) or USB 3.1 gen 2. Only this latter USB 3.1gen2 supports 10Gbps. The more common USB 3.1gen1 only supports 5Gbps, the same as USB3.0 on an A connector.

Also, like USB, "Thunderbolt" is not as single item either. TB 1 & 2 shared the same connector as mini-DisplayPort. TB3 uses the USB-C connector.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Correct, until the last sentence.

USB ports using the original A connector can be USB 1, 1.1, 2.0, or 3.0. USB ports using the new C connector can be carrying USB 2.0, USB 3.1gen1 (same as "3.0" on the A connector) or USB 3.1 gen 2. Only this latter USB 3.1gen2 supports 10Gbps. The more common USB 3.1gen1 only supports 5Gbps, the same as USB3.0 on an A connector.

Also, like USB, "Thunderbolt" is not as single item either. TB 1 & 2 shared the same connector as mini-DisplayPort. TB3 uses the USB-C connector.

Yes. Just for those wondering, the new iPad Pros have USB 3.1 gen 2, meaning they do support 10Gbps. If I'm not mistaken, previous iPad Pros supported only 3.1 gen 1 and 5Gbps.

I have no idea what the speed is on Lightning cables, but I think they are even slower. Likewise, I believe the USB-C cable provided with latest iPad Pros is slower than 3.1 gen 2. If anyone has info, I would gladly hear it.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Yes. Just for those wondering, the new iPad Pros have USB 3.1 gen 2, meaning they do support 10Gbps. If I'm not mistaken, previous iPad Pros supported only 3.1 gen 1 and 5Gbps.

I have no idea what the speed is on Lightning cables, but I think they are even slower. Likewise, I believe the USB-C cable provided with latest iPad Pros is slower than 3.1 gen 2. If anyone has info, I would gladly hear it.
The usb-c cable provided with the latest iPad pro is usb 2 :(

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
The usb-c cable provided with the latest iPad pro is usb 2 :(

True.

When gathering gear, you need to consider the protocols and abilities of not only the device's port, but also the cables', hub's/dock's/..., and those of the target device. You may find that you need various cables, each optimized for different chores. While power/charing cables can be long, high speed data transfer protocols (read: TB3, USB3.1.x) abhor long cables.

It appears that Apple chose to only support USB2.0 on the charging cable supplied with the new iPPs. It was, perhaps, done to balance the size of the power conductors needed with their manic drive for "thin" and/or to allow for a longer cable. USB3.x and TB3 require more data lines, leading to bulkier cables, and can have issues with longer cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.