Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I have the 16" M1 Pro and 14" M3 Max. I also use the Studio Display. Does it make sense to keep both MacBooks for different scenarios?

I put my M1 Pro for sale online in prefect condition with AppleCare + but I only get $1000 offers for it which is very close to the store trade in price. Sometimes I wonder if I should keep both even though the 14" is more convenient and double the power overall. Anyone also in this dilemma and using multiple MacBooks for different reasons?

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
If you haven’t tried it, you could consider using both simultaneously with Universal Control. I do this with a Mac Studio (connected to a Pro Display XDR) and an M1 Max MBP (in clamshell connected to a studio display)

Universal Control lets me treat both like they’re one computer. The keyboard and mouse work on both, you can drag and drop files between them etc.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I usually get rid of my current MacBook when I get a new one. The older MacBook will just continue to depreciate the longer you hold onto it. Unless you already have a plan to repurpose the spare MacBook, or hand it down to family, I'd just as well sell it now while the value is highest.

I thought about keeping my M1 16GB MBA after I bought a 14" M3 Max because I really loved the classic wedge design. Ultimately, the MBA collected dust and I couldn't convince my daughter to take it so I traded in the MBA to Apple while values were still decent. I do kind of miss the wedge MBA, especially now that Apple is no longer selling it, but I no longer had real use for it anymore. Best of luck on your decision.

Reactions: ciaranr

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
could get an air to go along with your collection and get rid of the m1? Do you like the form of the 14 Pro or 16 better?

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
could get an air to go along with your collection and get rid of the m1? Do you like the form of the 14 Pro or 16 better?
the 14 is more practical overall. Another simpler Mac for travel would be the M3 12" but that doesnt exist.

Reactions: kp98077

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I feel your pain, I am trying to decide between the new m3 15" air and the 14 MBP!
MBP has the ports. better brighter display, faster, weight I similar. 14" fits just right in smaller bags like the Peak Design zip 15L. for me switching to the 14" has been almost perfect solution overall. It also fits jsut right under the Studio Display. So I type on the MacBook and use the display as a second above. This is way more practical than having displays on sides in my opinion. Research documents and outlines on Studio Display but writing program on Mac screen. Eyes can easily move up and down. If I go any bigger, it will cover part of the studio Display. you can use the 14" outside and brighter screen better in sun. those regular old screens were useless when I sat on balcony. I think the base 14" MBP 11 core, 14 gpu is the best bang for buck overall. 16" is good if you want good size documents side by side but I dont like the longer palm rest. The only other MacBook id buy as an additional is the 2 lb MacBook when that comes out. That one is a portable dream and I had two of them in past. I almost loved that one. The 14" is a good middle ground. Its like a jack of all trades but in a good way.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
ok I sold the 16" M1 Pro with AppleCare for $1050. Kept the 14" M3 Max as my only machine for everything. People getting great deals on the used M1 Pros. I couldn't even tell the speed difference between the two.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
how about 16 inch mbp paired with 13 inch mba?
Actually, I've been pondering picking up an Apple Certified refurb M2 MBA to supplement my M1 Pro 16 inch for traveling. 12.9 iPad Pro is great for what it is, but sometimes you just need a Mac.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Actually, I've been pondering picking up an Apple Certified refurb M2 MBA to supplement my M1 Pro 16 inch for traveling. 12.9 iPad Pro is great for what it is, but sometimes you just need a Mac.
im waiting for apple to release a new 12" 2lb Mac again

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
Funny you should mention this. I have been using an M1 Pro 14" for about a year. Really wanted to get a 16" for the larger display and ended up buying it from Apples refurb store. Was going to just sell the 14" when the 16" arrived. It's been almost 2 months and I still don't want to sell the 14" lol. I'm attached to it, love how compact it is. Don't get me wrong, the 16" is amazing but I like switching back and fourth between the two.

• Love
Reactions: Account25476

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Funny you should mention this. I have been using an M1 Pro 14" for about a year. Really wanted to get a 16" for the larger display and ended up buying it from Apples refurb store. Was going to just sell the 14" when the 16" arrived. It's been almost 2 months and I still don't want to sell the 14" lol. I'm attached to it, love how compact it is. Don't get me wrong, the 16" is amazing but I like switching back and fourth between the two.
keep both. at this point the value dropped so much, id rather have the convenience. multitasking on the 14 kinda sucks. Im always resizing or moving windows but everything else is better. If I was you id travel with the 14 and not care if it gets dinged up.

Reactions: Six0Four
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.