Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomcam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2016
I have a pretty high end MacPro that I use only for Logic Pro X. The theory is I don't ever want to install any software that might destabilize it. I use special audo interfaces, have gigs of samples, an internally installed copy protection dongle, etc. My other machine is a recent iMac I use to program on. It's on a different floor.

Problem is I'll be recovering from foot surgery for 6 weeks. I won't be able to go downstairs and visit the music machine much. One thing I could do is install my toolset in the music machine and have it moved into my room. I don't use any weird graphics editors or play any games on the MacPro: just music, web surfing, and Apple apps like Notes. I would simply be installing Go, Python, and Postgres. Any evidence this is a particularly bad idea?

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I have a pretty high end MacPro that I use only for Logic Pro X. The theory is I don't ever want to install any software that might destabilize it. I use special audo interfaces, have gigs of samples, an internally installed copy protection dongle, etc. My other machine is a recent iMac I use to program on. It's on a different floor.

Problem is I'll be recovering from foot surgery for 6 weeks. I won't be able to go downstairs and visit the music machine much. One thing I could do is install my toolset in the music machine and have it moved into my room. I don't use any weird graphics editors or play any games on the MacPro: just music, web surfing, and Apple apps like Notes. I would simply be installing Go, Python, and Postgres. Any evidence this is a particularly bad idea?
You could Remote Desktop from the iMac to the Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.