Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Yeppers...price was too good to be true. Here's his response.

"Hi,

I am from England and I have the laptop here at my
store for sale. The laptop is brand new in the box
and I have all the papers for it and it has 1 year
warranty. The laptop is very beautifull and you will
be very pleased of it.
I can send you the laptop from here via UPS and it
will come directtly at your home and I will pay for
the shipping.
I can only accept money via Western Union.
Mail me for more information."

Im not going to bother - notice the Western Union only payment....Any of you Brits want to take this guy on?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
the picture is not even a 17" PB anyway...

i don't use eBay so i don't have an account... but could someone with one send an email to the winning bidder and warn him that he's about to get scammed?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
jxyama said:
the picture is not even a 17" PB anyway...

i don't use eBay so i don't have an account... but could someone with one send an email to the winning bidder and warn him that he's about to get scammed?

I wasn't concerned about the eBay auction. The buyer has some protection there. Its this guy on craigslist...that pic is a 17, but it reeks of fraud (international seller and wants western union). Thought if someone locally could go to his "store" and see if hes legit.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
kingjr3 said:
I wasn't concerned about the eBay auction. The buyer has some protection there. Its this guy on craigslist...that pic is a 17, but it reeks of fraud (international seller and wants western union). Thought if someone locally could go to his "store" and see if hes legit.

sorry, only the pic in the ebay is wrong.

anyway, western union equals scam. i'm yet to see any exception to this rule.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
craigslist is primarily for direct-contact exchanges - that's why there are local branches of the service. If the person won't meet you - don't give up your money.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
carletonmusic said:
craigslist is primarily for direct-contact exchanges - that's why there are local branches of the service. If the person won't meet you - don't give up your money.

Yeah, I told him "No thanks" already. However, I have seen some of the proactive users on these forums that find they live close and shut down these frauds - hence my suggestion for the British.

I really shouldn't be looking at new Macs anyway :D

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Yeah, my search was on completed items whcih is why I was taken back to see that go for $900.

Off topic...I do often search completed items to find a good "market value." Most of the time, people will look at current auctions and think that is the so-called market value, failing to realize that eBay is now dominated by snipers (both real and software based). Its a feature that is so under utilized.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
kingjr3 said:
Yeah, my search was on completed items whcih is why I was taken back to see that go for $900.

Off topic...I do often search completed items to find a good "market value." Most of the time, people will look at current auctions and think that is the so-called market value, failing to realize that eBay is now dominated by snipers (both real and software based). Its a feature that is so under utilized.

I've made a big habit of this as well (and got my girlfriend doing it too so she can fulfill her dream of owning every Hello Kitty product in the world), uncompleted items can also OVERvalue the market with Mac's especially. I often see 400mhz Titaniums for $1000 Buy-it-Now, but rarely see them completed as being sold for that much. Usually its more like $700-$800.

In other words, dont be a sucker. Research.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.