Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
So I found a used Macbook Air locally. Supposed to be immaculate.

Specs: 13", 1.7 Core i5, 4 GB Ram, 256GB SSD, Lion, original box, AppleCare for another 2 years. Purchased in July 2011.

He want's $1100, and won't come down any more. It also comes with the external super drive. Worth it?

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Don't know much about buying laptops used but the one thing that would concern me right off the bat would be the battery, as if it hasn't been taken care if in that year, how much can it of degraded in that time?

Also, is the AppleCare policy fully transferrable to your name / Apple ID ?

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
So I found a used Macbook Air locally. Supposed to be immaculate.

Specs: 13", 1.7 Core i5, 4 GB Ram, 256GB SSD, Lion, original box, AppleCare for another 2 years. Purchased in July 2011.

He want's $1100, and won't come down any more. It also comes with the external super drive. Worth it?

I personally think its worth it.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Don't know much about buying laptops used but the one thing that would concern me right off the bat would be the battery, as if it hasn't been taken care if in that year, how much can it of degraded in that time?

Also, is the AppleCare policy fully transferrable to your name / Apple ID ?

Yes, warranty is transferable. If the battery has issues, Apple will replace/fix the battery/laptop.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If the battery has issues, Apple will replace/fix the battery/laptop.
To clarify for folks that haven't seen Apple's policies, if it's a defect, Apple will replace the battery. If it's normal wear and tear (i.e. the battery isn't holding much of a charge after 400 cycles), then its on the owner to pay for the replacement.

Regarding price, the refurb store has a similarly spec'ed Air in the refurb store for $1,189. It'd cost $1,508 with the cost of AppleCare + the SuperDrive added do it.

$1100 doesn't sound like a bad deal, esp if it's really "immaculate".

SoIsays

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
I wouldn't pay more than $1000. I'd rather pay $1200 and tax for the safety and security of buying from Apple. Then you'll have a year to think over if AppleCare is what you really need

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I told him the max I could offer him was $1000, which he turned down. I think I'll pass for now. $1500 for a NEW MBA with USB 3.0 is probably worth the extra $300, plus the resale value down the road...

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I was inches away from purchasing this exact same machine, used, in 9.5/10 condition, without a superdrive or Applecare, for $1050...and the seller's wife put the kaibosh (sp?) on the deal...she couldn't stand the idea that they spent $1700 on it a year ago brand new and this was "all" they could get for it. After that deal fell through I just went on the refurb site and got the same machine with the 128GB HD for $929 and called it a day. :)

I would ask him to meet you in the middle at $1050 if you're still interested. Sounds like a good deal and a good way to avoid paying tax as well. :)

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
No tax on Amazon. And I really would like the 256GB SSD. I'd also like the 8 GB of Ram but I can't avoid paying tax on that one...

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Try to meet at $1050. $1100 is all the money for a year old Air, especially since the 2012 launched at $100 lower price point.

AppleCare is nice, Superdrive... meh.

hisboyelroy

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Austin, Texas
Yes, warranty is transferable. If the battery has issues, Apple will replace/fix the battery/laptop.

I'll just throw in my two cents on this part of the conversation, and add, that while the original warranty may be transferable, it isn't quite so clear initially that AppleCare is transferable. One of the things that the seller has to do in order to transfer the AppleCare agreement to you is to send to Apple "proof of purchase (original sales receipt) of the AppleCare agreement." If the seller didn't buy the AppleCare agreement from an authorized seller, Apple will not honor this, regardless if there is a receipt or not. In particular, any AppleCare agreement purchased off of eBay is ineligible. Even if it was purchased from an authorized seller, they will still need to be able to produce the receipt. Consequently, they also must show proof of purchase of the MacBook as well. I have learned all of this the hard way. :eek:

Also, I think the comment above about checking the battery health is a pretty good idea as well. While the machine may have been taken care of and be in "immaculate" condition, that doesn't mean that the battery is also like new. I recommend checking the battery information under the About this Mac system report and checking the number of reported battery cycles to help gauge the condition of and life left in the battery.

Of course, none of this was in your original question. Back to what you were asking about, I would say that the $1100 is about a fair price as this is what that exact model is going for now on eBay. Of course, you could point out that he wouldn't actually get the $1100 from eBay after their ridiculous seller fees. While it is a fair price, it isn't a great price.

If it were me, I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred more and getting a new, similarly spec'ed machine that has the USB 3, upgraded processor, hd cam, new battery and a year's warranty from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.