Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
Okay, lots of work for me :) :rolleyes: ... I have been working way to hard on this I have been up more then 20+ hours (with other projects too, plus my main PB G4 Died - long day) and my mind is gone, so I will get some sleep (just so you all know I still need a great deal more of help and did not thing I am ignoring this post) and try all of the things above, and let you all know how they go. About the No-IP site why dose everyone tell me I need this, and what is its purpose?

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
Okay, Sorry about the delay my iMac (only good internet Mac here) needed a New OS... Mean while I took the time to go to login at no-ip.com and have an account there (I don't know what good it will do me), and have reset up the code the New OS messed up... So what do I do now? Yet again I am lost :rolleyes: :confused: .

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
How can you make it so instaead of typing in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/~usrname/ you can just type in the ip address and it forwards to the ~usrname folder by default?

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
jared_kipe said:
How can you make it so instaead of typing in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/~usrname/ you can just type in the ip address and it forwards to the ~usrname folder by default?

Good Question, I had been wondering that upon many other things, this all seems hard, but I have motovation to do it, so hopefully soon... Also Nice Tar!

That reminds me, if some one else has a service an login system set up, may be we could 'share it' for a good price :D ... I need to get a basic one done ASAP... And help would be GREAT!

Also with the No-IP.com they gave me an IP of 4.62.75.227, what does this mean, and what do I do with that and the service?

Please let me know.

Thanks All!

jestershinra

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
jared_kipe said:

Put your website in your /Library/Webserver/Documents folder, not ~/Sites.

jestershinra

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
MacEffects said:
That reminds me, if some one else has a service an login system set up, may be we could 'share it' for a good price :D ... I need to get a basic one done ASAP... And help would be GREAT!

Try this one: http://www.evolt.org/article/PHP_Login_System_with_Admin_Features/17/60384/

Also with the No-IP.com they gave me an IP of 4.62.75.227, what does this mean, and what do I do with that and the service?

Install their client. You may need to download it from their site. Once you've installed it, input your no-ip account name and password, and set it as a startup item. Then, you can forget about it.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
jared_kipe said:
Edit the /etc/httpd/httpd.conf file. Find:
Code:
#
# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
#
DocumentRoot "/Library/WebServer/Documents"
and
Code:
#
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
<Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents">
and change it to your users Sites folder...

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
Also when I go to the IP that (should?) go to my computer, it just sits there when I type it in on Safari? What is that about, did I do something wrong?

Please let me know.

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
More Info I found out... Someone just told me not to use PHP, or anything like that and I could do a simple Java/JavaScript code to allow a few usernames (1-9) and a few passwords (1-9) and just to view a page a login is all I need, please do let me know, at this point (I have tried much w/ no success) I am lookin for the easy way out :rolleyes: :D .

jestershinra

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
MacEffects said:
Also when I go to the IP that (should?) go to my computer, it just sits there when I type it in on Safari? What is that about, did I do something wrong?

Please let me know.

You'll need to forward port 80 to your computer. That's done in your router's configuration. While you're there, forward 16080 as well.

More Info I found out... Someone just told me not to use PHP, or anything like that and I could do a simple Java/JavaScript code to allow a few usernames (1-9) and a few passwords (1-9) and just to view a page a login is all I need, please do let me know, at this point (I have tried much w/ no success) I am lookin for the easy way out.

...If you want the very easy way out, use .htaccess (HTTP authentication). You'll be up and running in a few minutes. Of course, it's not the most secure, and you don't have a ton of control.

jestershinra

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
MacEffects said:
Okay, so where is the spot I put the Login system code? does no-ip automatically goto it, or how does that work? Please let me know.

AARGH- i just had this long thing written out, and I just lost it. Dammit!

Essentialy- put the files in their own directory. If you want that to be the only site, put them in the root (/Library/Webserver/Documents). Then, create a new MySQL database, and a new user to go along. Remeber the db name and username. Next, open includes/constant.php and edit the first four variables, according to the settings you just specified for mysql.

Now, try going to http://127.0.0.1/main.php and see what happens.

edit: If you want me to help you configure this, I can. Drop me a PM- I actually just set one of these up yesterday, so I'm willing to set this up for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.