Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
While I understand the vitriol against Apple for this error, it makes sense from a security standpoint. Hopefully, having an authorized Apple repair center replace the home button with a legitimate one can restore a phone giving this error.

Inconvenient, but makes sense. You're dealing with an advanced security feature, not just a simple clicky button.

You understand the security risks though? If someone could just install hacked touch ID sensors, then your data could be compromised. Apple has a responsibility to prevent scenarios like that.

And you don't have to get it fixed by Apple per se, but they probably need to be an authorized repair center. Otherwise what's to stop cheap repair shops from putting in Chinese knockoff TouchID sensors and putting your security and or personal information at risk?

No need to disable the entire phone over this though. Find an unauthorized touch-id sensor is present, disable touch-id, and make it work just a button like it was in the iPhone 5. Disabling the entire device and all functionality is taking it way too far.

just.in.time

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
Arizona, USA
I am sure if I replace figureprint sensor on Nexus 6P, I will not brick that phone.

Admit it, Apple just want your money
No, Apple is constantly being held to a higher level of scrutiny with regards to their fingerprint system. Remember how much media attention it garnered when someone figured out how to fool a 5s? Now, remember how many people even bothered to mess with any of the Android based devices fingerprint scanner? I don't recall that second question ever occurring. So Apple HAS to be spot on with their systems. Any flaws will get thrown into the spotlight so much that even your local news reporter will try to take a swing at it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm confused. Aren't there non-Apple repair shops which are certified by Apple, who receive authentic Apple tools and parts and training for fixing Apple products?

Are we saying that those certified technicians can't fix it, or that uncertified technicians can't fix it, or that nobody at all, not even full blown Apple technicians, can repair it?

If it's only that uncertified technicians can't fix it, then this seems like a non-story to me. I would expect an uncertified technician to cause issues like this. Their source of replacement parts is shady - it's obviously not coming from Apple.

If it's that either of the other two groups of people (Apple certified or Apple employees) that can't fix it, then that's a real problem.

octopi

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2014
UK
So, on detecting 3rd party replacement of any finger print related part they couldn't just completely disable only the finger print ID access and switch to pin only entry like every iPhone that doesn't have finger print ID? Instead of bricking the whole phone.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
You understand the security risks though? If someone could just install hacked touch ID sensors, then your data could be compromised. Apple has a responsibility to prevent scenarios like that.

And you don't have to get it fixed by Apple per se, but they probably need to be an authorized repair center. Otherwise what's to stop cheap repair shops from putting in Chinese knockoff TouchID sensors and putting your security and or personal information at risk?

My understanding is that apple don't allow AASP's to repair iphones/tablets etc...... The only official way to get it done is through apple who here in the UK are
a. Inconvenient
b. Expensive

Reactions: DiceMoney

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I can only imagine the press if it was found out retroactively that phony Touch ID sensors had made their way into authorized (and especially unauthorized) screen supply lines that caused severe issues to the phone, reduced the accuracy of Touch ID, or exposed fingerprint data.

"Why didn't the iPhone prevent this?" "Touch ID is useless & weak" "Why doesn't Apple enforce standards" blah blah blah.

This is a big deal and iPhone handles it correctly. Perhaps you should be taking your phone to someone who stands by their repair instead of turning to Apple because your iPhone is attempting its best to protect your data in an instance that is nearly impossible to (physical access to device).

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
I feel for the guy, but I'm siding with Apple on this one. It's a security risk. It's a case of 'the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.' It might be inconvenient, but if you need your iPhone repaired, seek out a certified technician if you don't have Apple Care.

just.in.time

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
Arizona, USA
Why?

If my iPhone is out of warranty, then I should be able to have it repaired by who ever I want.

I can see why it might be a good thing to avoid circumventing the security on stolen phones, but from a user standpoint who wants a repair, apple repairs aren't exactly the cheapest, or in the UK and other countries where apple stores are only in big cities, its a pain in the rear not being able to take it to a local phone shop.
Then that is the responsibility of your local repair shot to ensure that the new TouchID is properly paired with your iPhone. Unfortunately, this is a case of "you get what you pay for" because Apple has the TouchID system tightened down. Honestly, it's a good thing. They are doing their best to keep your phone's data safe. If it wasn't locked down, it would be compressible and then Apple would have to answer to an avalanche of bad press regarding how they made a theoretically hack-able system.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Why?

If my iPhone is out of warranty, then I should be able to have it repaired by who ever I want.

I can see why it might be a good thing to avoid circumventing the security on stolen phones, but from a user standpoint who wants a repair, apple repairs aren't exactly the cheapest, or in the UK and other countries where apple stores are only in big cities, its a pain in the rear not being able to take it to a local phone shop.

This is probably a security update to keep people using false fingerprint readers to get into the phone.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
See how much bad press Apple got when someone got electrocuted by a charger and it turned out it was a 3rd party Chinese knockoff? But too late, all the public hears is "Woman electrocuted by iPhone"

One Apple Pay breach could destroy the public's confidence in Apple Pay completely so I'm really not surprised they are going out of their way to ensure the risk of this is minimal whilst also keeping us users secure.

I don't know why they have to brick the phone though, why not just disable TouchID?

nocturnum

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2014
Europe
Well, Apple is right on this one. The only thing that might bother me is that since this is a security related part, Apple makes no difference in the cost of service. To exagarrate a bit ... 129€ part + 79€ labour for one button that costs a cent and takes a few minutes to replace. The next thing will be Touch ID in the screen, fused with half of the rest, commanding the replacement of a great part of the phone ... (Timmy must definetly be excited on this one).

Last edited:

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Sigh, when will people learn... don't buy cheap chargers and don't hire cheap dodgy garage stores to fix your tech products. Sorry but this is what you get!

Best read the Guardian article to find out some of the circumstances of why/how they were fixed and then disabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.