Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chkenwing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
To name a few the portenzo/treegloo/octavo.

I would like your input in regards to your experiences with these wooden framed cases.

Because I live in Hong Kong and the humidity here is ridiculous (especially during the Summer) and since I'll be using my iPad for work I'll be going from like hot to cold in almost an instance (due to pretty much everywhere in HK has air-con units) I want to know whether these cases warp?

Also, when you bought them, were they pre-varnished? Cos if wood is pre-varnished, wouldn't that reduce the effect of warping by humidity?

Thanks

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
I had a Treegloo and a Portenzo. The Treegloo arrived with a warped frame, so sent it back (Treegloo customer service was dreadful at the time, so never got a replacement). My Portenzo arrived OK, but the rubber bumpers eventually became a little loose, meaning that the Ipad didn't stay in the case. A number of people have posted that their cases are fine, but there also seem to be a lot of complaints similar to mine. I would not recommend one of these cases.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I have and still own a 2 portenzos, 2 treegloos, and 2 pad and quill's for the family and also 'cause it's kinda a hobby.

I would not buy any of them again,although the P&Q is the best quality. They are bulky for travel and with continuous use of pulling the pad in and out THEY ALL LOSE THEIR GRIP ON THE PAD. The plywood/rubber gives in the corners and the frames warp - esp after being jammed in a travel bag or suitcase.

It needs a plastic frame to work - fieldfolio did this but acc to others are built cheaply.

save your money on all these...get a nice leather smartcover + a Zum back or a Khomo folio case.

Just don't buy into the plywood dream....
966f9e27.jpg

khomo case with back
poly smartcover with icarbon CF stripes + Zum black frosted back
7ab59d28.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.