Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I just got a new 5G and I was sad to see that the remote thing that came with the 3G will not fit in the headphone jack for it (I suppose this was true of the 4G too). I looked around for some convertor or some cable to add on to it, but couldn't find anything. Is there a way around this? I had the remote clipped to my dashboard cover, so I could control my ipod in the car without having to pick it up and look at it. I will miss this if I can't use it!

Linam

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2005
I have the Logitech BT headphones which needs the slot so that bothers the hell out of em does an one have a work around?

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
MacFan26 said:
I just got a new 5G and I was sad to see that the remote thing that came with the 3G will not fit in the headphone jack for it (I suppose this was true of the 4G too). I looked around for some convertor or some cable to add on to it, but couldn't find anything. Is there a way around this? I had the remote clipped to my dashboard cover, so I could control my ipod in the car without having to pick it up and look at it. I will miss this if I can't use it!

it works on the 4g

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
It works on the 4G as they have a remote connector. AFAIK, the dock connector still has the same connections used for the remote, so it's probably not particularly hard to make an old remote work with a new iPod if you're good with soldering of small wires and connectors. I can give you more details if you want, just PM me.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
mduser63 said:
AFAIK, the dock connector still has the same connections used for the remote, so it's probably not particularly hard to make an old remote work with a new iPod if you're good with soldering of small wires and connectors. I can give you more details if you want, just PM me.

Sorry, I'm no good with soldering small wires and connectors. I was just hoping there was a simple piece of plastic out there you could stick the remote into and then stick that in the iPod. Oh well. Guess I'll have to pick it up and look at it now when I'm driving :rolleyes:

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
MacFan26 said:
Sorry, I'm no good with soldering small wires and connectors. I was just hoping there was a simple piece of plastic out there you could stick the remote into and then stick that in the iPod. Oh well. Guess I'll have to pick it up and look at it now when I'm driving :rolleyes:

There are some people that I've found posting around the web that are working on making a remote->dock connector adapter. I think the main hangup (for me at least) would be finding the female remote connector. The dock connector is a standard, reasonably readily available part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.