Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
I bought a T-Mobile iPhone 12 mini from eBay. It was sold as being for T-Mobile, and T-Mobile only, and had the eBay refurbished badge and guarantee.

However, after owning it, I called T-Mobile and asked about unlocking, because why not. As I started to get down the call chain, they told me that the phone had been financed and was not paid off, and that I should speak to the original owner. Thus, it is not eligible for unlock and never will be.

I'm using the phone on Tello, which uses T-Mobile towers, but I can't say I don't feel uneasy about using a financed phone and the difficult situation that will put me in when I want to sell the phone and have to describe that to the next owner.

Has anyone had experience with phones like this? Are they 'safe' to use indefinitely? Or should I cut my losses and just get rid of the phone? I think I'm still within the return window too.

jenelemond

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2022
No it's not safe! Better get rid of it! It's a risk for sure. And the phone can also be blacklisted!

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
What would cause it to be blacklisted? It's clean for now and T-Mobile says it is good to activate.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
If whoever is paying it off decided to quit making payments that could cause it to be blacklisted

Reactions: BF1M

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
I just sent it in for return. It’s so dumb that this is not even in the fine print of these phones on eBay…

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That's why most informed people prefer not to buy used with an unknown history. Or else they risk holding onto a brick a few months later. You're lucky you can return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.