Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
I am a paranoid person. With all the news about wi-fi security last week, I haven't even used my airport since. I know it's ridiculous.

For now while we wait to hear more details, I just want to connect an ethernet cable to my laptop to be safe, but the base station doesn't have enough ethernet jacks.

Here is how I am currently set up. An ethernet cable runs from the cable modem to the WAN connection on the base station. Then an ethernet cable runs from the LAN connection to my Windows desktop machine. And I use the wireless connection for my laptop.

If the base station had one more ethernet connection on it, I would just use that and plug in an ethernet cable to that and then to my laptop. But no extra jack exists on the base station.

So is it possible to use the base station and D-Link router together? If so, how would I go about connecting it?

And would there be any security risks in doing so?

Thanks for your time.

MrParanoid himself,
FrozenCarbonite

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Maybe I'm missing something. Why do you need the Airport at all if you're not going to use wireless? If you've got a D-Link router, just use that and remove the airport from your setup.

Or learn how to set up the wireless connection securely. Designing Airport Networks

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Well, I guess I just don't want to have to disconnect and reconnect cables when I want to use Airport.

I do have my wireless network setup securely. I use WPA encryption, but that "vulnerability" that was supposedly demoed in the video from blackhat, made me nervous about using wireless right now.

I'm just waiting to hear more details about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.