Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
So I want to do this, but am a little nervous since i've never used automator. My question is right now the file names are something like Dev-1, Dev-2, Dev-3,...Dev-n

What i want to do is rename them in a odd number sequence (taking pictures of buisness along a street, and want the file name to represent the street adress)

So i want it to be 1201-Devon, 1203-Devon,1205-Devon...etc..

Can someone tell me how to do this? I don't know how to completly rename the file and also do a odd sequence.

thank you! :)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
This is quite easy to do with Automator, but for odd number sequences? Hmm, not sure on that one.

But to get you started:
Open Automator
Select Finder and use these actions:
Get Selected Finder Items
Rename Finder Items (be sure to click the triangle at the bottom and hit the option "Show Option When Run")

Then Save As a Plug-In for the Finder. Go to the Finder and select your pictures and right click and choose your new Automator Workflow. Again for the odd number thing, don't think its an option without getting technical. Good Luck.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
yeah that's the problem! i found a lot of links on how to use automator for pictures in a (1,2,3,4) sequence, but i need it to be every other/ odd numbers.. =(

osirisX

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Check out this: http://www.manytricks.com/filelist/

File List is a nice little freeware app to do batch renaming. Just drag and drop the file you want to rename onto the File List window. Then in the rename section on the right change it to Number Sequentially and set the Step Value to 2. Set the Prefix to whatever name you want and check Append Original Extension. Then click the play button at the very bottom and it will rename all those files. The list on the left will show you what the new file names will be.

Note: File List is odd in the fact that it doesn't generate a Dock Icon and you HAVE to press the red button to close it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.